Re: Kernel feature support

Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@...>

Hi Ben,

-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev-bounces@... [mailto:cip-dev-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Ben Hutchings
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2017 11:34 PM
To: cip-dev@...
Subject: [cip-dev] Kernel feature support

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled?
Please find attached to this e-mail four kernel v4.4 configurations for different architectures and platforms. Some of these kernels contain vendor patches and the PREEMPT RT patch. Also, please note that they were created with 'make ARCH=xxx savedefconfig'.

Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
I prepared a list of kernel config options that I consider the most important among the configs we are using. You can find them in the file config-cip (included in the attached zip file) which is reproduced below:

General setup
CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE
CONFIG_HZ_PERIODIC
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS
CONFIG_IKCONFIG
CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC
CONFIG_CGROUPS
CONFIG_CPUSETS
CONFIG_NAMESPACES
CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD
CONFIG_RD_GZIP
CONFIG_SHMEM
CONFIG_SYSCTL_SYSCALL
CONFIG_KPROBES

Processor type and features
CONFIG_SMP
CONFIG_EFI
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU
CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP

System type
CONFIG_ARCH_TEGRA
CONFIG_ARCH_ZYNQ

Filesystems
CONFIG_EXT4_FS
CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER
CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS
CONFIG_VFAT_FS
CONFIG_PROC_FS
CONFIG_SYSFS
CONFIG_TMPFS
CONFIG_SQUASHFS
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS

Networking support
CONFIG_INET
CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q
CONFIG_IPV6

Device drivers
CONFIG_UIO
CONFIG_UIO_PDRV_GENIRQ
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE
CONFIG_USB_HID
CONFIG_USB_NET_DRIVERS
CONFIG_FB
CONFIG_TUN
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT
CONFIG_GPIOLIB
CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS
CONFIG_GPIOLIB_IRQCHIP
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM
CONFIG_MTD
CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK
CONFIG_MTD_NAND
CONFIG_I2C
CONFIG_SPI
CONFIG_MMC
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV
CONFIG_PPS
CONFIG_E1000E
CONFIG_I40E
CONFIG_IGB

Kernel hacking
CONFIG_FTRACE
CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER
CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME
CONFIG_PANIC_ON_OOPS

Some of these kernel config options may be out of scope or too broad. I just provide them for reference.
We may send you more information in the future.

IoT Technology center
Toshiba Corp. Industrial ICT solutions,
Daniel SANGORRIN