Re: Supported kernel and Debian versions in Isar

Kazuhiro Hayashi

From: Jan Kiszka [mailto:jan.kiszka@...]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 6:02 PM
To: hayashi kazuhiro(林 和宏 ○SWC□OST)
<kazuhiro3.hayashi@...>
Cc: cip-dev@...
Subject: Re: Supported kernel and Debian versions in Isar

On 11.04.19 10:33, kazuhiro3.hayashi@... wrote:
Hello Jan,

Do you have any policies about the version combinations of CIP kernel
and Debian supported in Isar?

Currently, Isar seems to support 4.4 CIP + stretch/buster:
https://github.com/ilbers/isar/blob/master/meta-isar/recipes-kernel/li
nux/linux-cip_4.4.166-cip29.bb

That's just an example for a custom kernel recipe.

https://github.com/ilbers/isar/blob/master/doc/user_manual.md#getting-
started

isar-cip-core additionally supports 4.19:
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/isar-cip-core/tree/master/reci
pes-kernel/linux
but "linux-cip" is default to 4.4.
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/isar-cip-core/commit/02fdfbd03
ec994d8282de4851293687116a7f311

Yes, that was a conservative choice we should change.
OK.
I would like to confirm the meaning of "change" (override or add) in the following questions.

Do you any plans to provide the kernel recipes for all CIP versions (4.4,
4.19, ...) in master branch
and validate them with all Debian versions?
All (released) versions exist already, validation is the key now. We do
not have isar-cip-core hooked up with our test labs yet. I only started
artifact generation, but only for the combinations 4.4-rt with BBB and
IPC227E. We should add 4.19 as well, and then we need tests. I'm low on
bandwidth to look into the test hook-up myself ATM, unfortunately, but I
will at least try to finish the uploading (more variants, upload of rootfs
as well, not only bootable image - or can the latter be used for LAVA as
well?)
Thank you for the information.
The current Debian version used in the above testing is stretch?
After the buster released, are you planning to validate all of the followings with isar-cip-core?

4.4-rt + stretch + BBB/ IPC227E
4.19-rt + stretch + BBB/ IPC227E
4.4-rt + buster + BBB/ IPC227E
4.19-rt + buster + BBB/ IPC227E

I guess that the supported combinations would be limited to practical
ones.
For examples:
4.4 + stretch => SUPPORTED
4.4 + buster => NOT SUPPORTED
4.4 + bullseye => NOT SUPPORTED
4.19 + stretch => SUPPORTED
4.19 + buster => NOT SUPPORTED
4.19 + bullseye => SUPPORTED(?)
You meant
4.19 + buster => SUPPORTED
4.19 + bullseye => SUPPORTED(?)

Yes for buster, specifically when it is released. I don't think we need
to rush with the next release then.
OK.
What do you think about the targets of validation in future?

In Isar, we can choose any Debian versions available in
https://github.com/ilbers/isar/tree/master/meta/conf/distro (now stretch & buster)
In isar-cip-core, we can choose any kernel versions available in
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/isar-cip-core/tree/master/recipes-kernel/linux
but now isar-cip-core only provides one version combination specified by
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/isar-cip-core/blob/master/conf/distro/cip-core.conf
When the new CIP kernel version or Debian version released,
will isar-cip-core overriede "distro/cip-core.conf" for the specific version combination and validate?
e.g. 4.4 + stretch => 4.19 + buster => 5.xx + bullseye => ...
or, will add new files like "cip-core_2.conf", "cip-core_3.conf", ... to provide multiple version combinations?
e.g.
cip-core.conf: 4.4 + stretch
cip-core_2.conf: 4.19 + buster
cip-core_3.conf: 5.xx + bullseye

Enabling buster should be straightforward, Isar works with it already.
Great, how can I know that the buster is officially enabled in isar-cip-core?

Kazu