Kind regards, Chris

From: Ben Hutchings [mailto:ben.hutchings@...]
Sent: 20 June 2017 16:15

On Tue, 2017-06-20 at 14:53 +0000, Chris Paterson wrote:
Hello Ben,

I hope the move went okay.
Thanks. It didn't entirely, but the worst is over.

I plan to start backporting some patches to the CIP Kernel soon, to
begin adding support for the Renesas CIP reference platform.

I’ve had a look at [1] and have a few of queries…

1)
11. It or an equivalent fix must already exist in Linus' tree (upstream).
Is this rule set in stone? Or can patches that have been accepted into
the relevant maintainer’s branches be backported?

Positive: We don’t have to wait up to 10 weeks for the new merge
window before backporting patches
Negative: There is a small chance that the patches will be rebased in
the move from linux-next to linux
I think it would be fine to relax this for new hardware support. There isn't
the same risk of regression if the kernel didn't support the hardware before.

2)
For submitting patches, I assume you would like them sent to cip-dev?
Yes. You can send a git pull request, but I would like to see the patches on
the list even then.

3)
For patches that add support for a new platform, would you like them
submitted in small series, as they were upstreamed? Or in one big pull
request once major support for the platform has been added upstream?
Shorter series are more easy for me to digest.

Ben.

[1]
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernel
maintenance