From: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org <cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org> On Behalf Of punit1.agrawal@toshiba.co.jp
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:27 PM
To: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org
Cc: Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@toshiba.co.jp>; Kazuhiro Hayashi <kazuhiro3.hayashi@toshiba.co.jp>
Subject: [cip-dev] CIP Core target EOL dates

Hi,

CIP is planning to support the Kernels + Debian Rootfs combinations marked with 'x' in the table below.

+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.4 | x | x | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.19 | | x | x |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+

So far, the details of when the support is expected to end haven't been explicitly called out for Core components. It would be good to rectify this in order to set expectations and gather feedback from the user community.

In addition, it will be helpful in estimating the required effort and planning to resource the projects appropriately.

To start the conversation, I would like to propose the following target EOL dates for each of the supported combination.

Note: All the dates are in YYYY-MM-DD format

+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.4 | 2025-04-26 | 2026-01-10 | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.19 | | 2027-06-17 | 2019-10-18 |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+

The proposed dates have been calculated as

earlier of (Kernel, Debian) release date + 10 yrs

The choice of duration (10 yrs) is arbitrary and should be adjusted based on requirement and available resources. Also, some of the combinations could be dropped if there are no users for them.

Ideally, the dates for the Core components should be aligned with CIP maintained kernels but there doesn't seem to be any public documentation for the CIP kernel EOL dates. Let me know if this is written down somewhere.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks,
Punit

The relevant Debian[0][1][2] and Kernel[3] release dates are copied below for reference.

Debian Release Dates
--------------------
Jessie - 2015-04-26
Stretch - 2017-06-17