Re: CIP Core target EOL dates

punit1.agrawal@...

Hello Kudo-san,

Thanks for your comments.

"masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp" <masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp> writes:

Hi, Punit-san,

Thanks for initiating the discussion.

Regarding the EOL of "v4.19" x "Debian Buster", it should be
"2029-01-11" if we follow the following rule.

earlier of (Kernel, Debian) release date + 10 yrs
For the calculation, I used the upstream kernel release date as
reference but we can use CIP kernel release dates from your slides.

I wasn't sure if CIP maintenance is based on upstream release or CIP
release.

With that update, the proposed dates look like -

+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.4 | 2025-04-26 | 2026-01-10 | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.19 | | 2027-01-17 | 2029-01-11 |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+

Note: There's a typo in my original mail - for Debian Buster (v4.19) the
EOL date should've been 2029-10-18.

[...]

Ideally, the dates for the Core components should be aligned with CIP
maintained kernels but there doesn't seem to be any public
documentation for the CIP kernel EOL dates. Let me know if this is
written down somewhere.
The projected EOLs are stated in the above document.
Regarding the web site, I noticed that the following page is not updated.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance

I will discuss this inside the kernel team.
Thanks. It would be good to publish the information on CIP website. It's
easier to find and reference.

Once agreed, we should do the same for Core components as well.

Thanks,
Punit