Re: [PATCH v2 4.19.y-cip 0/7] Add RPC-IF driver for RZ/G2x SoC's

Lad Prabhakar

Hi Pavel, Nobuhiro,

-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev@... <cip-dev@...> On Behalf Of Lad Prabhakar via
Sent: 25 November 2020 08:50
To: Pavel Machek <pavel@...>
Cc: cip-dev@...; Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <nobuhiro1.iwamatsu@...>; Biju Das
Subject: Re: [cip-dev] [PATCH v2 4.19.y-cip 0/7] Add RPC-IF driver for RZ/G2x SoC's

Hi Pavel,

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@...>
Sent: 24 November 2020 19:49
To: Prabhakar Mahadev Lad <prabhakar.mahadev-lad.rj@...>
Cc: cip-dev@...; Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <nobuhiro1.iwamatsu@...>; Pavel
<pavel@...>; Biju Das <biju.das.jz@...>
Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 4.19.y-cip 0/7] Add RPC-IF driver for RZ/G2x SoC's


This patch series adds SPI driver for the Renesas RPC-IF.
Alongside relevant changes for spi-mem have been also
backported. This enables accessing SPI flash chip connected
to RPC-IF on RZ/G2x boards.

We currently only aim to backport just the driver hence there
are no changes to dts/i files. The driver has been tested on
RZ/G2{EM} with all the required dts/i changes [1].
Okay, that was quick.

What is your plan, merge dts changes soon? Or is the driver useful
even without the dts changes?
We only plan to upstream/backport driver, pinctrl and clock atm (consumers needing this feature will
have to manually enable the DTS)

Changes for v2:
* Patches {1, 3, 4}/7 unchanged
* Patch 2/7
* Fixed reference leak for OF node in rpcif_probe()
* Fixed overwriting return value in error path of rpcif_manual_xfer()
* Replaced C++ style comment with C style
* Replaced tab with a space between struct and struct name
* Fixed a typo in commit message (s/absract/abstract)
* Patch 5/7
* Fixed reference leak in spi_mem_access_start for PM
* Patch 6/7
* Return early in spi_mem_dirmap_dirmap_{read/write}
* Patch 7/7
* Replaced C++ style comment with C style
* Used __maybe_unused for rpcif_spi_{suspend,resume} and dropped
CONFIG_PM_SLEEP ifdef checks
* Elaborated the description for SPI_RPCIF config
* Dropped the label err_put_ctlr from rpc_spi_probe()
Thanks for the changes; they are probably good (I have yet to take
close look), but I wonder if we should wait until they hit next or
mainline? If upstream maintainer disagrees, we would get divergence...
Agreed when the fixes hit linux-next I shall post a v3.
Fixes to the driver have hit Linux-next, is it OK if I re-spin a v3 now or wait for it to hit -rc release ?


Join to automatically receive all group messages.