Re: Kselftest implementation

Thanks for your work.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 11:04:26AM +0900, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
Hello Chris,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 7:27 AM Chris Paterson <Chris.Paterson2@...>
wrote:

Hello Alice,

From: cip-dev@... <cip-dev@...> On
Behalf Of Alice Ferrazzi via lists.cip-project.org
Sent: 13 April 2021 18:30

Hi everyone,

I'm Alice Ferrazzi from Cybertrust Japan.

I'm currently working on adding Kselftest to the current CIP CI tests of
linux-
cip Kernel
Thank you for your work on this!

I made and tested kselftest on a testing instance of lava, currently
tested
only on qemu x86_64
If you'd like to test on a wider range of platforms then get in touch and
we'll get you access to the CIP LAVA instance.
This would be nice!

I implemented a simple skiplist in the kselftest envelope for skipping
tests
that are currently not working.
The usage is similar to how spectre-meltdown-checker-test is currently
working.

Raw log:

http://140.211.166.173:10080/scheduler/job/329
Results list:
http://140.211.166.173:10080/results/329/1_kselftest
It looks like a great start.

Thanks

My idea is to start implementing kselftest tests for at least qemu x86_64
architecture and expand in the future to other architectures.
As Iwamatsu-san pointed, we need also to create kselftest binary.

I'm currently thinking of implementing kselftest binary creation
mechanism
on linux-cip-ci kernel build script but I still didn't start to work on
this yet.

Kselftest test code:

https://gitlab.com/alice.ferrazzi/cip-kselftest
Is there any work we can leverage from the Linaro test-definitions repo?

https://github.com/Linaro/test-definitions/tree/master/automated/linux/kselftest

That was the first thing I tried out but was not working correctly on the
cip rootfs enviroment
As you write, cip rootfs lacks the software to run kselftest. Therefore,
it is necessary to make a separate flavor of rootfs.
There are also two types of cip rootfs, and we need to use either or
both for kernel testing.

KernelCI also recently implemented kselftest support if that's useful at
all, this'll include the build side of things.
https://github.com/kernelci/kernelci-core/tree/main/config/lava/kselftest

I know about KernelCI effort for kselftest and I think to use a similar
approach about the kselftest binary creation implementation.

The code I wrote is based on Glava-tests that is part of GKernelCI.
GKernelCI is the current Gentoo kernel CI system that is reporting and
collaborating with KernelCI.
https://github.com/GKernelCI/Glava-tests
Using a different repository currently is helpful for self managing the
skiplist, but it could be changed in the future.

I think this needs to be done first.
I also think there are several approaches to creating kselftest
binaries.

- Continue to use a particular kernel version of ksefltests.
- Use CIP kernel kselftest.
- Use the latest kernel kselftest.

I used to build an environment using the latter.

https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/tree/ci/iwamatsu/linux-cip-kselftest

By the way, do you know which kernelci they are using?

linux-cip Kernel Kselftest implementation (currently in draft):
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/linux-cip-ci/-/merge_requests
Please assign the MR to me when you're ready for it to be reviewed, or if
you need any help.

Also let me know if you want write access to the linux-cip-ci repo.
If you push your branch to our repo directly the CI will be able to run,
making it easier for you to test.
Testing the kselftest branch directly on CIP CI test environment from
linux-cip-ci
repo would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Alicef