Re: Coordinating stable reviews

From: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org [mailto:cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org] On Behalf Of Pavel Machek
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 7:10 PM
To: uli@fpond.eu; cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org
Subject: [cip-dev] Coordinating stable reviews

Hi!

It is good to review "stable" patches soon, because such reviews are
more useful for the stable community, and because when bug is spotted,
it is easier to get patch dropped in the 5.10.X-rc phase than waiting
for 5.10.X release and then having patch reverted in 5.10.X+1.

Unfortunately, we don't have good system for coordinating reviews in
-rc phase.
It's different from the current system, but how about using patchwork?
Somehow forward the patch posted to stable@kernel.org as -rc to
cip-dev and review it at patchwork.kernel.org. It doesn't meet all
requests because it can't be operated from the command line.

Also, as Ulrich wrote, I think it's a good idea to use gitlab.
I suggest a way to comment on the commit instead of using the gitlab wiki.
for example, we can comment on the following URL (commit). We need to investigate,
but I think it can be manipulated from the command line using Gitlab's
API or libraries.

https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/commit/d25b48d4d3ef1ce75ce5628a8a3ba60a2427090f

There's a script (commit.py) that produces one-line-per-patch output
suitable for review. One possibility would be to have shared place
somewhere reviewers could tag "I'm working on these patches".

I don't believe lts-commit-list.git repository is suitable for that;
format suitable for review is different from what we have in
lts-commit-list, and there is going to be multiple updates per day in
busy periods.

We don't really need commit messages for this. Actually, we don't
really need to keep history, either. It would be good if system could
be controlled from command line for easy scripting.

Any ideas what kind of service could be used for this?