Re: 5.10.110-rc2 mirroring/testing

Chris Paterson

Hi Pavel,

From: Pavel Machek <pavel@...>
Sent: 08 April 2022 16:59

Hi!

5.10.110-rc2 is out, and it would be good to test it, but somehow we
are still at -rc1...?
Already linux-stable-rc uses 11G by now.
I see there are some changes:

https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/linux-stable-rc-ci/-/tree/linux-
5.10.y

but it seems to say "authored 12 minutes ago". Hour ago it also said
"authored 12 minutes ago", so I believe it will not be able to finish
the tests.
Today I've implemented a new triggering method for our stable-rc testing.

Originally we had a linux-stable-rc mirror that sent a webhook/trigger to linux-stable-rc-ci when there was an update.
This was the only purpose for CIP to have a copy of the linux-stable-rc repository.

The new method instead just polls the kernel.org linux-stable-rc repository directly.
If there is an update then the usual build jobs are kicked off.

Downsides of the new approach:
- Currently polling is set to once every 2 hours, so potentially it's slower then the old method (I think GitLab mirrors poll every 30 minutes).
- Because I just use git remote-ls to see if there is an update to upstream linux-stable-rc, we don't have as detailed information in the linux-stable-rc-ci commits. We only have the SHA.
Inside the jobs however we can see the actual log oneliner to help identify the RC version.
Old: Linux 4.4.302 (a09b2d8f61ea)
New: Upstream SHA: a09b2d8f61ea

Upsides of the new approach:
+ We no longer need linux-stable-rc - we could delete this repo and stop all the warnings/errors from it being too large.
+ The new trigger method has much less data transfer. We don't need to clone all of the branches from linux-stable-rc just to see if there is an update.

The trigger has already built all 4 LTS trees we monitor and build/test jobs have gone through.
You can see the latest here: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/linux-stable-rc-ci/-/pipelines

In the background I'm trying to follow the steps in [0] to reduce our original linux-stable-rc repo size, but perhaps we're better off killing it.
I've no idea if this will have an impact on anyone else though?

[0] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/repository/reducing_the_repo_size_using_git.html

There are probably many other ways of doing things, but today this is what I've come up with :)

Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk