Re: Features backports

On 29/11/16 03:57, 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO wrote:
Hi,

Regarding to Altera Socfpga Cyclone V, we might want to backport from 4.9;
- L2cache ECC(./arch/arm/mm/cache-l2x0.c)
- QSPI Flash controller(drivers/mtd/spi-nor/cadence-quadspi.c)

4.9 is still missing the followings which exist in the verdor tree(linux-socfpga);
- HPS2FPGA(drivers/fpga/altera-hps2fpga.c)
- NAND Flash controller(drivers/mtd/nand/denali_dt.c)
I hope we can encourage Altera to push these features upstream or do it ourselves.
I think we have a good chance once they see we are testing Beaglebone Black in the open. That would be a good opportunity we might add value to them.

Definitely I would talk to them before. If they are not pushing the patches upstream, it would be a good question why.

Takuo

-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev-bounces@lists.cip-project.org
[mailto:cip-dev-bounces@lists.cip-project.org] On Behalf Of Agustin Benito
Bethencourt
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2016 9:26 PM
To: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org
Subject: [!][cip-dev] Features backports

Hi,

as you probably know, the more features we backport, the higher will be the
maintenance cost overtime so as a strategy, we need to be very
conservative.

I sent a mail some days ago about the features backported already by Linaro
for their LSK (Linaro Stable Kernel) for your evaluation. I bring today some
potential backports related with security features and hardware support that
has been identified by Ben H.

* UBSAN support:
<https://git.kernel.org/linus/c6d308534aef6c99904bf5862066360ae067abc4
* Increased user-space ASLR range for ARM:
<https://lwn.net/Articles/667790/>

* Page poisoning on free:
<https://git.kernel.org/linus/8823b1dbc05fab1a8bec275eeae4709257c2661
d>,
<https://git.kernel.org/linus/1414c7f4f7d72d138fff35f00151d15749b5beda>

* SLAB/SLUB freelist randomisation

* Hardened usercopy

* Do Members use SLUB? if not, we should take a look at KASAN support for
SLAB

* drm/tilcdc update? (many bug fixes post-4.4)

* AM33xx RTC support:

<https://git.kernel.org/linus/461932dfb54ebaf7da438fd8b769a01ce97a9360
,
<https://git.kernel.org/linus/b5a553c08bec14a058501df3fa6eb39f63f00a98>