Re: How to develop on the RT version

From: Daniel Sangorrin [mailto:daniel.sangorrin@...]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2018 11:19 AM
To: 'Chris Brandt' <Chris.Brandt@...>; 'cip-dev@...' <cip-dev@...>
Subject: RE: [cip-dev] How to develop on the RT version

Hi Chris,

-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev-bounces@... [mailto:cip-dev-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Chris Brandt
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2018 11:37 PM
To: cip-dev@...
Subject: [cip-dev] How to develop on the RT version

Hello CIP members,

As I look at the git repository, there are multiple PREEMPT_RT branches:

* linux-4.4.y-cip-rt-rebase
* linux-4.4.y-cip-rt
* linux-4.4.y-cip-rt-patches

I'm trying to understand if I want to develop a product using RT, what branch should I be tracking and pulling into my local git repo?
This one: linux-4.4.y-cip-rt

I would think that locally, I would have some git repository that I will pull from CIP and merge into my own tree. I would also be
pushing that to some local server to share with the other team members in my group.

Therefore, the 'rebase' thing doesn't make sense to me because if you are pushing a rebased tree, that means you are changing the
existing parent history and doing a simple 'git pull' doesn't work so well (like what you have with the linux-next tree).
The rebase branch is something complimentary, the maintainer may decide not to prepare it (the same with the patches).
# The rebase branch might useful to see clearly which patches come from the cip kernel and which ones are from PREEMPT RT.

Do I just fetch and merge from 'linux-4.4.y-cip-rt' periodically as I develop my product, and that will play nicely with the local commits
that I am also making and pushing locally to my repository?
That should work unless your local commits create some conflict. You can also rebase your local commits at the same time so that you
have them on the top of the git log for convenience.
Of course, if you rebase the local changes, your team will have to do a hard reset after fetching the new changes.

Thank you,