Re: Root filesystem for risc-v board

Chris Paterson

Hello Pavel,

Apologies for the slow reply, I've been away.

From: Pavel Machek <pavel@...>
Sent: 12 August 2022 09:22

Hi!

So... how do you get root filesystem for RISC-V board? Ideally I'd
like to get something Debian based.
Renesas' official BSP (v1.0) is Yocto/Poky based and is available on their website:
https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/rz-mpus/rzfive-risc-v-general-purpose-microprocessors-risc-v-cpu-core-andes-ax45mp-single-10-ghz-2ch-gigabit-ethernet

But it's in source code form, so it would need building as per the included documentation.

Best I could try is debootstrap for Debian testing:

sudo debootstrap --no-check-gpg --foreign --arch=riscv64 --keyring
/usr/share/keyrings/debian-ports-archive-keyring.gpg
--include=debian-ports-archive-keyring unstable /some/suitable/dir
http://deb.debian.org/debian-ports

Unfortunately, I can't get debootstrap --second-stage to work (I get
sigsegv in ldconfig, I guess testing may be too experimental?). Is it
possible to debootstrap stable or testing distributions?

I don't think CIP project provides binary images somewhere. What is
recommended way to get a root filesystem? Is there suitable
documentation I should follow?
This document describes the build process for the Yocto BSP:
https://www.renesas.com/us/en/document/mas/release-note-rzfive-board-support-package-v10

We'll have to work out with CIP how we want to support CIP-Core on the RZ/Five, given the current lack of official risc-v support in Debian.
Something we can discuss in next week's extended TSC.

Kind regards, Chris

Thanks and best regards,
Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk