Date

Re: [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Urs Gleim

Hi Neal,

Thanks. However I was not requested to set a password.

Best regards,
Urs

--
Urs Gleim | Siemens AG | Corporate Technology

Am 06.04.2020 um 23:45 schrieb Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...>:

Dear CIP Community,

The migration is complete.

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email address and set a password.

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Lists

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:
Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io conversion about to kick off (about an 1 1/2 hours from now).

Please see schedule below.

Best Regards,
Neal

Neal Caidin
Program Manager, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:56 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:
[cross posted]

Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io email is scheduled to start on

Pacific - 2 pm , Monday, April 6
Eastern - 5 pm, Monday April 6
CET - 11 pm, Monday April 6
JST - 6 am, Tuesday, April 7

It is expected to take several hours, but could be as much as a full 24 hours.

When the migration is completed, I will send out the links so that you can access email archives.

Best regards,
Neal

Neal Caidin
Program Manager, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)

Re: [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Chris Paterson

Hello Neil,

>You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email address and set a password.

It doesn’t look like I’ve received this email.

>Lists

>https://lists.cip-project.org/main

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-board

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-dev

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-testing-results

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-members

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-security

None of these links work. It looks like they should be https://lists.cip-project.org/g/main etc.

Kind regards, Chris

[...]

Re: [cip-members] [cip-dev] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Jan Kiszka

On 07.04.20 03:44, punit1.agrawal@toshiba.co.jp wrote:
Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> writes:

Hi!

The migration is complete.

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email
address and set a password.

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This
would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an
administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other
lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.
And we have first problem.

They seem to add this kind of trailer to the messages, breaking GPG
signatures :-(.

(I won't quote full trailer as it seems to contain some secrets?)
I wonder if it's possible to turn these off by the admin.
Also, another thing to test is the impact of the footer on applying
patches sent via email (git am / git apply).
Konstantin, could you have a look or organize help? This is a blocker for us, groups.io must not mess with messages.

But given that other projects are using this workflow as well, I strongly suspect there is a way to fix it.

Re: Python 3.x vs 2.7

Kento Yoshida

From: nobuhiro1.iwamatsu@toshiba.co.jp <nobuhiro1.iwamatsu@toshiba.co.jp>
[...]

As you may know, some of other packages we selected are dependent on python
3.x, so we may have the below options:

1. Maintain python 2.7 as well
2. Backport the upper duplicity which migrated python 3.x in bullseye
archive 3. Others

What do you think is best?
I hope we can decide the policy within the CIP core group because there shall be
similar problems for the others of python.

In my opinion, it is difficult to support Python2 for a super long term. And I think
it is difficult to support each library using Python2.
Therefore, I think Option2 is good. And if necessary, we can use
backposts.debian.org.
Actually, option-2 is dominant in the security team as well.
From a brief look at the pros / cons between the two choices (below), I
am also biased towards backporting a python3 based version of duplicity.

Suggested next steps further down -

* Python2

Pros
----
* No backport (to Buster) needed (least effort, right now)

Cons
----
* Has reached EOL in upstream. Not sure about ELTS support. It maybe
that if we go with Python2, we (CIP) is on our own.

* Python3

Pros
----
* Python3 is available in Debian Buster
* Likely to be supported for longer time - upstream and in Debian

Cons
----
* Needs backporting duplicity (and dependencies) to Buster via
backports to align with upstream first approach of CIP.
- From a quick check of dependencies in bullseye a backport of
librsync2 might also be needed.

Next steps
----------
* Investigate the effort to backport duplicity (and dependencies) to
buster-backports.
* If no major surprises are found during the investigation, work with
Debian upstream to upload the new version.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Punit

However, packages with large dependencies can be difficult to backports. For
example Kbuckup is difficult, I think.
Agree. We are not going to select the package which is GPL-3 or has a lot of dependent package, so the duplicity is only one candidate for us substantially.