Date   

Re: CIP Core target EOL dates

masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp <masashi.kudo@...>
 

Hi, Punit-san,

I also calculated, and my conclusion is the following.

Debian
- Jessie 2015-04-26
- Stretch 2017-06-17
- Buster 2019-07-06
CIP SLTS Kernel
- SLTS4.4 2017-01-17
- SLTS4.19 2019-01-11
* https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1R2r7_hVijKN1VTuVc92IE4U94p9AUU90bMFUoGRroUI/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p7

Combination Earlier date btw two
---------------------------------------
4.4 x Jessie 2015-04-26 -> EOL: 2025-04-26
4.4 x Stretch 2017-01-17 -> EOL: 2027-01-17
4.19 x Stretch 2017-06-17 -> EOL: 2027-06-17
4.19 x Buster 2019-01-11 -> EOL: 2029-01-11

+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| SLTS | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.4 | 2025-04-26 | 2027-01-17 | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.19 | | 2027-06-17 | 2029-01-11 |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+

By doing this, I felt dizzy... :) So I would appreciate it if you can double-check.

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo

-----Original Message-----
From: Punit Agrawal <punit1.agrawal@toshiba.co.jp>
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 11:02 AM
To: 工藤 雅司(CTJ OSS事業推進室) <masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp>
Cc: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org; daniel.sangorrin@toshiba.co.jp; kazuhiro3.hayashi@toshiba.co.jp
Subject: Re: [cip-dev] CIP Core target EOL dates

Hello Kudo-san,

Thanks for your comments.

"masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp" <masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp> writes:

Hi, Punit-san,

Thanks for initiating the discussion.

Regarding the EOL of "v4.19" x "Debian Buster", it should be
"2029-01-11" if we follow the following rule.

earlier of (Kernel, Debian) release date + 10 yrs
For the calculation, I used the upstream kernel release date as reference but we can use CIP kernel release dates from your slides.

I wasn't sure if CIP maintenance is based on upstream release or CIP release.

With that update, the proposed dates look like -

+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.4 | 2025-04-26 | 2026-01-10 | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.19 | | 2027-01-17 | 2029-01-11 |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+

Note: There's a typo in my original mail - for Debian Buster (v4.19) the EOL date should've been 2029-10-18.

[...]

Ideally, the dates for the Core components should be aligned with CIP
maintained kernels but there doesn't seem to be any public
documentation for the CIP kernel EOL dates. Let me know if this is
written down somewhere.
The projected EOLs are stated in the above document.
Regarding the web site, I noticed that the following page is not updated.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernel
maintenance

I will discuss this inside the kernel team.
Thanks. It would be good to publish the information on CIP website. It's easier to find and reference.

Once agreed, we should do the same for Core components as well.

Thanks,
Punit


[...]

-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org <cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org> On
Behalf Of punit1.agrawal@toshiba.co.jp
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:27 PM
To: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org
Cc: Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@toshiba.co.jp>; Kazuhiro
Hayashi <kazuhiro3.hayashi@toshiba.co.jp>
Subject: [cip-dev] CIP Core target EOL dates

Hi,

CIP is planning to support the Kernels + Debian Rootfs combinations marked with 'x' in the table below.

+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.4 | x | x | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.19 | | x | x |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+

So far, the details of when the support is expected to end haven't been explicitly called out for Core components. It would be good to rectify this in order to set expectations and gather feedback from the user community.

In addition, it will be helpful in estimating the required effort and planning to resource the projects appropriately.

To start the conversation, I would like to propose the following target EOL dates for each of the supported combination.

Note: All the dates are in YYYY-MM-DD format

+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.4 | 2025-04-26 | 2026-01-10 | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.19 | | 2027-06-17 | 2019-10-18 |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+

The proposed dates have been calculated as

earlier of (Kernel, Debian) release date + 10 yrs

The choice of duration (10 yrs) is arbitrary and should be adjusted based on requirement and available resources. Also, some of the combinations could be dropped if there are no users for them.

Ideally, the dates for the Core components should be aligned with CIP maintained kernels but there doesn't seem to be any public documentation for the CIP kernel EOL dates. Let me know if this is written down somewhere.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks,
Punit


The relevant Debian[0][1][2] and Kernel[3] release dates are copied below for reference.

Debian Release Dates
--------------------
Jessie - 2015-04-26
Stretch - 2017-06-17
Buster - 2019-07-06

Linux Kernel Release Dates
--------------------------
v4.4 - 2016-01-10
v4.19 - 2018-10-18


[0] https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/
[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
[2] https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/
[3] https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html


Re: CIP Core target EOL dates

punit1.agrawal@...
 

Hello Kudo-san,

Thanks for your comments.

"masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp" <masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp> writes:

Hi, Punit-san,

Thanks for initiating the discussion.

Regarding the EOL of "v4.19" x "Debian Buster", it should be
"2029-01-11" if we follow the following rule.

earlier of (Kernel, Debian) release date + 10 yrs
For the calculation, I used the upstream kernel release date as
reference but we can use CIP kernel release dates from your slides.

I wasn't sure if CIP maintenance is based on upstream release or CIP
release.

With that update, the proposed dates look like -

+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.4 | 2025-04-26 | 2026-01-10 | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.19 | | 2027-01-17 | 2029-01-11 |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+

Note: There's a typo in my original mail - for Debian Buster (v4.19) the
EOL date should've been 2029-10-18.

[...]

Ideally, the dates for the Core components should be aligned with CIP
maintained kernels but there doesn't seem to be any public
documentation for the CIP kernel EOL dates. Let me know if this is
written down somewhere.
The projected EOLs are stated in the above document.
Regarding the web site, I noticed that the following page is not updated.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance

I will discuss this inside the kernel team.
Thanks. It would be good to publish the information on CIP website. It's
easier to find and reference.

Once agreed, we should do the same for Core components as well.

Thanks,
Punit


[...]

-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org <cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org> On Behalf Of punit1.agrawal@toshiba.co.jp
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:27 PM
To: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org
Cc: Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@toshiba.co.jp>; Kazuhiro Hayashi <kazuhiro3.hayashi@toshiba.co.jp>
Subject: [cip-dev] CIP Core target EOL dates

Hi,

CIP is planning to support the Kernels + Debian Rootfs combinations marked with 'x' in the table below.

+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.4 | x | x | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.19 | | x | x |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+

So far, the details of when the support is expected to end haven't been explicitly called out for Core components. It would be good to rectify this in order to set expectations and gather feedback from the user community.

In addition, it will be helpful in estimating the required effort and planning to resource the projects appropriately.

To start the conversation, I would like to propose the following target EOL dates for each of the supported combination.

Note: All the dates are in YYYY-MM-DD format

+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.4 | 2025-04-26 | 2026-01-10 | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.19 | | 2027-06-17 | 2019-10-18 |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+

The proposed dates have been calculated as

earlier of (Kernel, Debian) release date + 10 yrs

The choice of duration (10 yrs) is arbitrary and should be adjusted based on requirement and available resources. Also, some of the combinations could be dropped if there are no users for them.

Ideally, the dates for the Core components should be aligned with CIP maintained kernels but there doesn't seem to be any public documentation for the CIP kernel EOL dates. Let me know if this is written down somewhere.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks,
Punit


The relevant Debian[0][1][2] and Kernel[3] release dates are copied below for reference.

Debian Release Dates
--------------------
Jessie - 2015-04-26
Stretch - 2017-06-17
Buster - 2019-07-06

Linux Kernel Release Dates
--------------------------
v4.4 - 2016-01-10
v4.19 - 2018-10-18


[0] https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/
[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
[2] https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/
[3] https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html


Re: [cip-board] [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Neal Caidin
 

Hi Chris,

Anything I can do to help?

-- Neal

Neal Caidin
Program Manager, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:26 AM Chris Paterson <chris.paterson2@...> wrote:

Hello all,

 

Is anyone still receiving emails from cip-testing-results@... since the migration?

I don’t seem to be.

 

Thanks, Chris

 

From: cip-members@... <cip-members@...> On Behalf Of Neal Caidin via lists.cip-project.org
Sent: 06 April 2020 22:45
To: cip-board@...; cip-members@...; cip-security@...; cip-dev@...
Subject: [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

 

Dear CIP Community,

 

The migration is complete. 

 

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email address and set a password.

 

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues. 

 

Lists

 

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:

Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io conversion about to kick off (about an 1 1/2 hours from now).

 

 

Please see schedule below.

 

Best Regards,

Neal

 

 


Neal Caidin

Program Manager, Program Management & Operations

The Linux Foundation

+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)

 

 

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:56 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:

[cross posted]

 

Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io email is scheduled to start on 

 

Pacific - 2 pm , Monday, April 6

Eastern - 5 pm, Monday April 6

CET - 11 pm, Monday April 6

JST - 6 am, Tuesday, April 7

 

It is expected to take several hours, but could be as much as a full 24 hours. 

 

When the migration is completed, I will send out the links so that you can access email archives.

 

Best regards,

Neal

 


Neal Caidin

Program Manager, Program Management & Operations

The Linux Foundation

+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


Re: [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Chris Paterson
 

Hello all,

 

Is anyone still receiving emails from cip-testing-results@... since the migration?

I don’t seem to be.

 

Thanks, Chris

 

From: cip-members@... <cip-members@...> On Behalf Of Neal Caidin via lists.cip-project.org
Sent: 06 April 2020 22:45
To: cip-board@...; cip-members@...; cip-security@...; cip-dev@...
Subject: [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

 

Dear CIP Community,

 

The migration is complete. 

 

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email address and set a password.

 

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues. 

 

Lists

 

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:

Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io conversion about to kick off (about an 1 1/2 hours from now).

 

 

Please see schedule below.

 

Best Regards,

Neal

 

 


Neal Caidin

Program Manager, Program Management & Operations

The Linux Foundation

+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)

 

 

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:56 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:

[cross posted]

 

Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io email is scheduled to start on 

 

Pacific - 2 pm , Monday, April 6

Eastern - 5 pm, Monday April 6

CET - 11 pm, Monday April 6

JST - 6 am, Tuesday, April 7

 

It is expected to take several hours, but could be as much as a full 24 hours. 

 

When the migration is completed, I will send out the links so that you can access email archives.

 

Best regards,

Neal

 


Neal Caidin

Program Manager, Program Management & Operations

The Linux Foundation

+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


Re: CIP Core target EOL dates

masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp <masashi.kudo@...>
 

Hi, Punit-san,

Thanks for initiating the discussion.

Regarding the EOL of "v4.19" x "Debian Buster", it should be "2029-01-11" if we follow the following rule.

earlier of (Kernel, Debian) release date + 10 yrs
- SLTS4.19 kernel release date: Jan 11, 2019
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1R2r7_hVijKN1VTuVc92IE4U94p9AUU90bMFUoGRroUI/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p7
- Debian Buster release date: July 6, 2019
https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/

Ideally, the dates for the Core components should be aligned with CIP maintained kernels but there doesn't seem to be any public documentation for the CIP kernel EOL dates. Let me know if this is written down somewhere.
The projected EOLs are stated in the above document.
Regarding the web site, I noticed that the following page is not updated.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance

I will discuss this inside the kernel team.

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo

-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org <cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org> On Behalf Of punit1.agrawal@toshiba.co.jp
Sent: Thursday, April 9, 2020 2:27 PM
To: cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org
Cc: Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@toshiba.co.jp>; Kazuhiro Hayashi <kazuhiro3.hayashi@toshiba.co.jp>
Subject: [cip-dev] CIP Core target EOL dates

Hi,

CIP is planning to support the Kernels + Debian Rootfs combinations marked with 'x' in the table below.

+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.4 | x | x | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.19 | | x | x |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+

So far, the details of when the support is expected to end haven't been explicitly called out for Core components. It would be good to rectify this in order to set expectations and gather feedback from the user community.

In addition, it will be helpful in estimating the required effort and planning to resource the projects appropriately.

To start the conversation, I would like to propose the following target EOL dates for each of the supported combination.

Note: All the dates are in YYYY-MM-DD format

+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.4 | 2025-04-26 | 2026-01-10 | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.19 | | 2027-06-17 | 2019-10-18 |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+

The proposed dates have been calculated as

earlier of (Kernel, Debian) release date + 10 yrs

The choice of duration (10 yrs) is arbitrary and should be adjusted based on requirement and available resources. Also, some of the combinations could be dropped if there are no users for them.

Ideally, the dates for the Core components should be aligned with CIP maintained kernels but there doesn't seem to be any public documentation for the CIP kernel EOL dates. Let me know if this is written down somewhere.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks,
Punit


The relevant Debian[0][1][2] and Kernel[3] release dates are copied below for reference.

Debian Release Dates
--------------------
Jessie - 2015-04-26
Stretch - 2017-06-17
Buster - 2019-07-06

Linux Kernel Release Dates
--------------------------
v4.4 - 2016-01-10
v4.19 - 2018-10-18


[0] https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/
[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
[2] https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/
[3] https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html


CIP Core target EOL dates

punit1.agrawal@...
 

Hi,

CIP is planning to support the Kernels + Debian Rootfs combinations
marked with 'x' in the table below.

+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.4 | x | x | |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+
| v4.19 | | x | x |
+----------+----------+-----------+-----------+

So far, the details of when the support is expected to end haven't been
explicitly called out for Core components. It would be good to rectify
this in order to set expectations and gather feedback from the user
community.

In addition, it will be helpful in estimating the required effort and
planning to resource the projects appropriately.

To start the conversation, I would like to propose the following target
EOL dates for each of the supported combination.

Note: All the dates are in YYYY-MM-DD format

+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| | Debian 8 | Debian 9 | Debian 10 |
| | Jessie | Stretch | Buster |
| Kernel | | | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.4 | 2025-04-26 | 2026-01-10 | |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| v4.19 | | 2027-06-17 | 2019-10-18 |
+----------+--------------+--------------+--------------+

The proposed dates have been calculated as

earlier of (Kernel, Debian) release date + 10 yrs

The choice of duration (10 yrs) is arbitrary and should be adjusted
based on requirement and available resources. Also, some of the
combinations could be dropped if there are no users for them.

Ideally, the dates for the Core components should be aligned with CIP
maintained kernels but there doesn't seem to be any public documentation
for the CIP kernel EOL dates. Let me know if this is written down
somewhere.

All feedback welcome.

Thanks,
Punit


The relevant Debian[0][1][2] and Kernel[3] release dates are copied
below for reference.

Debian Release Dates
--------------------
Jessie - 2015-04-26
Stretch - 2017-06-17
Buster - 2019-07-06

Linux Kernel Release Dates
--------------------------
v4.4 - 2016-01-10
v4.19 - 2018-10-18


[0] https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/
[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
[2] https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/
[3] https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html


CIP IRC weekly meeting today

masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp <masashi.kudo@...>
 

Hi all,

Kindly be reminded to attend the weekly meeting through IRC to discuss technical topics with CIP kernel today.

*Please note that the IRC meeting was rescheduled to UTC (GMT) 09:00 starting from the first week of Apr. according to TSC meeting*
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2020&month=4&day=9&hour=9&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=179&p3=136&p4=37&p5=241&p6=248

USWest USEast UK DE TW JP
02:00 05:00 10:00 11:00 17:00 18:00

Channel:
* irc:chat.freenode.net:6667/cip

Last meeting minutes:
https://irclogs.baserock.org/meetings/cip/2020/04/cip.2020-04-02-09.00.log.html

Agenda:

* Action item
1. Combine root filesystem with kselftest binary - Iwamatsu-san
2. Strengthen sustainable process to backport patches from Mainline/LTS - Kernel Team
2-1. Workflow for identifying important fixes, backporting, and reviewing them
2-2. Prepare the tools to be used for this workflow
2-3. Get practice in backporting patches
3. Upload a guideline for reference hardware platform addition - masashi910
4. Identify target boards and configs for RT kernel testing (4.4rt and 4.19rt) - masashi910

* Kernel maintenance updates
* Kernel testing
* CIP Core
* Software update
* CIP Security
* AOB

The meeting will take 30 min, although it can be extended to an hour if it makes sense and those involved in the topics can stay. Otherwise, the topic will be taken offline or in the next meeting.

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo
Cybertrust Japan Co., Ltd.


Re: [cip-security] [cip-dev] Python 3.x vs 2.7

masashi.kudo@cybertrust.co.jp <masashi.kudo@...>
 

Hi,

The security WG nominated duplicity as a solution for "Control system backup" (CR7.3).
One of the common requirements of such backup software is check-point restart capability.
Duplicity provides this like the following.
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-announce/2009-06/msg00000.html

IMHO, I think tar is not met IEC63443-4-2 requirement, because tar itself does not have this capability,

Best regards,
--
M. Kudo

-----Original Message-----
From: cip-security@lists.cip-project.org <cip-security@lists.cip-project.org> On Behalf Of Kento Yoshida
Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 3:49 PM
To: Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de>; Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
Cc: cip-security@lists.cip-project.org; cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org
Subject: Re: [cip-security] [cip-dev] Python 3.x vs 2.7

Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de>
Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 6:52 AM
To: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
Cc: Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de>; Kento Yoshida
<kento.yoshida.wz@renesas.com>; cip-security@lists.cip-project.org;
cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org
Subject: Re: [cip-dev] Python 3.x vs 2.7

On Mon 2020-04-06 12:15:16, Jan Kiszka wrote:
On 03.04.20 23:47, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!


FYI, unfortunately we couldn't find the alternative package for
system backup. The duplicity is the best package for us from the
license and num of dependencies point of view.

See the following.
<duplicity>
Encryption: Yes
Schedule backup: No
Incremental backup: Yes
License: GPL v2
Dependencies count (aprox): 80
Reference: http://duplicity.nongnu.org/features.ht
I'm not sure what your exact requirements are, but have you
considered
"tar"? It should be possible to pipe its output to aespipe (and
possibly other tools) to get encryption, and it should be able to
do
incremental backups...
I suppose there is that concern about GPLv3 again (as with broadly
used
rsync) - which is generally overrated. There exists legal views that
already
GPLv2 requires to keep such licensed components replaceable on the
target.
What then effectively remains with v3 is its, well, wording
complexity.

Does "tar" match the requirements?

And I agree that best option would be to accept GPLv3.
Some of the security members didn't accept GPLv3, so currently we dropped GPLv3 packages from the candidates.

BTW, I'm not sure but is the CIP policy on accepting GPLv3 still to be decided?

If that's out of question, I'm pretty sure we can get GPLv2 tar
implementation somewhere. busybox has implementation, and I'm pretty
sure there's GPLv2 fork of busybox. Old version of tar should be GPLv2.
Still better than porting duplicity to different python version...
Thank you for introduction about "tar".
I will investigate whether it meets the requirements.
And also I'll search GPLv2 implementation if it meets the requirements.
If it's not decided yet about the CIP policy on accepting GPLv3, we cannot adopt GPLv3 packages.

Anyway, I agreed it is difficult to support python 2 for a super long term. And everyone agreed on this point.
So, we cannot support each libraries using python 2, at least.

Best regards, Kent

Best regards,
Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany


Re: [cip-members] [cip-dev] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Neal Caidin
 

Sure! 

I just set it for cip-dev . See if that is working now?

Happy to do it for other lists if needed.

-- Neal

Neal Caidin
Program Manager, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 11:17 AM Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@...> wrote:
On 07.04.20 17:12, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 08:58:31AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>
>> Konstantin, could you have a look or organize help? This is a blocker for
>> us, groups.io must not mess with messages.
>>
>> But given that other projects are using this workflow as well, I strongly
>> suspect there is a way to fix it.
>
> On each list's "Settings" page there is an option called:
>
> Separate Message Footers
> (Place message footers in a separate MIME part)
>
> That's the one you want enabled.

Perfect! Neal, you are admin? Can you change that?

Thanks,
Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA IOT SES-DE
Corporate Competence Center Embedded Linux


Re: [cip-members] [cip-dev] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Konstantin Ryabitsev <mricon@...>
 

On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 08:58:31AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:

Konstantin, could you have a look or organize help? This is a blocker for
us, groups.io must not mess with messages.

But given that other projects are using this workflow as well, I strongly
suspect there is a way to fix it.
On each list's "Settings" page there is an option called:

Separate Message Footers
(Place message footers in a separate MIME part)

That's the one you want enabled.

-K


Re: [cip-members] [cip-dev] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Jan Kiszka
 

On 07.04.20 17:12, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 08:58:31AM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:

Konstantin, could you have a look or organize help? This is a blocker for
us, groups.io must not mess with messages.

But given that other projects are using this workflow as well, I strongly
suspect there is a way to fix it.
On each list's "Settings" page there is an option called:
Separate Message Footers
(Place message footers in a separate MIME part)
That's the one you want enabled.
Perfect! Neal, you are admin? Can you change that?

Thanks,
Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA IOT SES-DE
Corporate Competence Center Embedded Linux


Password reset - Re: [cip-dev] [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Neal Caidin
 

For anybody who did not get a password reset email, you can go to https://lists.cip-project.org/ , choose Login , and click the Forgot Password link.

Best,
Neal

Neal Caidin
Program Manager, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 6:26 AM Urs Gleim <urs.gleim@...> wrote:
Hi Neal,

Thanks. However I was not requested to set a password. 

Best regards,
Urs

--
Urs Gleim | Siemens AG | Corporate Technology

Am 06.04.2020 um 23:45 schrieb Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...>:


Dear CIP Community,

The migration is complete. 

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email address and set a password.

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues. 

Lists

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:
Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io conversion about to kick off (about an 1 1/2 hours from now).


Please see schedule below.

Best Regards,
Neal



Neal Caidin
Program Manager, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:56 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:
[cross posted]

Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io email is scheduled to start on 

Pacific - 2 pm , Monday, April 6
Eastern - 5 pm, Monday April 6
CET - 11 pm, Monday April 6
JST - 6 am, Tuesday, April 7

It is expected to take several hours, but could be as much as a full 24 hours. 

When the migration is completed, I will send out the links so that you can access email archives.

Best regards,
Neal


Neal Caidin
Program Manager, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


Re: Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Pavel Machek <pavel@...>
 

Hi!

They seem to add this kind of trailer to the messages, breaking GPG
signatures :-(.

(I won't quote full trailer as it seems to contain some secrets?)
I wonder if it's possible to turn these off by the admin.

Also, another thing to test is the impact of the footer on applying
patches sent via email (git am / git apply).
I suspect footer won't cause problems with patches; there are many
lists that add such footers, and patches normally survive that okay.

But our project is quite security-focused, so it would be good to
preserve GPG signatures...

Best regards,
Pavel
--
(english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
(cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html


Re: [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Urs Gleim
 

Hi Neal,

Thanks. However I was not requested to set a password. 

Best regards,
Urs

--
Urs Gleim | Siemens AG | Corporate Technology

Am 06.04.2020 um 23:45 schrieb Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...>:


Dear CIP Community,

The migration is complete. 

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email address and set a password.

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues. 

Lists

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:
Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io conversion about to kick off (about an 1 1/2 hours from now).


Please see schedule below.

Best Regards,
Neal



Neal Caidin
Program Manager, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:56 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:
[cross posted]

Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io email is scheduled to start on 

Pacific - 2 pm , Monday, April 6
Eastern - 5 pm, Monday April 6
CET - 11 pm, Monday April 6
JST - 6 am, Tuesday, April 7

It is expected to take several hours, but could be as much as a full 24 hours. 

When the migration is completed, I will send out the links so that you can access email archives.

Best regards,
Neal


Neal Caidin
Program Manager, Program Management & Operations
The Linux Foundation
+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


Re: [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Chris Paterson
 

Hello Neil,

 

>You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email address and set a password.

It doesn’t look like I’ve received this email.

 

>Lists

>https://lists.cip-project.org/main

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-board

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-dev

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-testing-results

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-members

>https://lists.cip-project.org/cip-security

 

None of these links work. It looks like they should be https://lists.cip-project.org/g/main etc.

 

Kind regards, Chris

 

From: cip-members@... <cip-members@...> On Behalf Of Neal Caidin via lists.cip-project.org
Sent: 06 April 2020 22:45
To: cip-board@...; cip-members@...; cip-security@...; cip-dev@...
Subject: [cip-members] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

 

Dear CIP Community,

 

The migration is complete. 

 

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email address and set a password.

 

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues. 

 

Lists

 

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:

Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io conversion about to kick off (about an 1 1/2 hours from now).

 

 

Please see schedule below.

 

Best Regards,

Neal

 

 


Neal Caidin

Program Manager, Program Management & Operations

The Linux Foundation

+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)

 

 

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:56 PM Neal Caidin <ncaidin@...> wrote:

[cross posted]

 

Reminder.  Mailman2 to Groups.io email is scheduled to start on 

 

Pacific - 2 pm , Monday, April 6

Eastern - 5 pm, Monday April 6

CET - 11 pm, Monday April 6

JST - 6 am, Tuesday, April 7

 

It is expected to take several hours, but could be as much as a full 24 hours. 

 

When the migration is completed, I will send out the links so that you can access email archives.

 

Best regards,

Neal

 


Neal Caidin

Program Manager, Program Management & Operations

The Linux Foundation

+1 (919) 238-9104 (w/h)
+1 (919) 949-1861 (m)


Re: [cip-members] [cip-dev] Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Jan Kiszka
 

On 07.04.20 03:44, punit1.agrawal@toshiba.co.jp wrote:
Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> writes:

Hi!

The migration is complete.

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email
address and set a password.

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This
would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an
administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other
lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.
And we have first problem.

They seem to add this kind of trailer to the messages, breaking GPG
signatures :-(.

(I won't quote full trailer as it seems to contain some secrets?)
I wonder if it's possible to turn these off by the admin.
Also, another thing to test is the impact of the footer on applying
patches sent via email (git am / git apply).
Konstantin, could you have a look or organize help? This is a blocker for us, groups.io must not mess with messages.

But given that other projects are using this workflow as well, I strongly suspect there is a way to fix it.

Thanks,
Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA IOT SES-DE
Corporate Competence Center Embedded Linux


Re: Python 3.x vs 2.7

Kento Yoshida
 

Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de>
Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 6:52 AM
To: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
Cc: Pavel Machek <pavel@denx.de>; Kento Yoshida
<kento.yoshida.wz@renesas.com>; cip-security@lists.cip-project.org;
cip-dev@lists.cip-project.org
Subject: Re: [cip-dev] Python 3.x vs 2.7

On Mon 2020-04-06 12:15:16, Jan Kiszka wrote:
On 03.04.20 23:47, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!


FYI, unfortunately we couldn't find the alternative package for
system backup. The duplicity is the best package for us from the license and num
of dependencies point of view.

See the following.
<duplicity>
Encryption: Yes
Schedule backup: No
Incremental backup: Yes
License: GPL v2
Dependencies count (aprox): 80
Reference: http://duplicity.nongnu.org/features.ht
I'm not sure what your exact requirements are, but have you
considered
"tar"? It should be possible to pipe its output to aespipe (and
possibly other tools) to get encryption, and it should be able to
do
incremental backups...
I suppose there is that concern about GPLv3 again (as with broadly
used
rsync) - which is generally overrated. There exists legal views that
already
GPLv2 requires to keep such licensed components replaceable on the
target.
What then effectively remains with v3 is its, well, wording
complexity.

Does "tar" match the requirements?

And I agree that best option would be to accept GPLv3.
Some of the security members didn't accept GPLv3, so currently we dropped GPLv3 packages from the candidates.

BTW, I'm not sure but is the CIP policy on accepting GPLv3 still to be decided?

If that's out of question, I'm pretty sure we can get GPLv2 tar implementation
somewhere. busybox has implementation, and I'm pretty sure there's GPLv2 fork
of busybox. Old version of tar should be GPLv2. Still better than porting duplicity
to different python version...
Thank you for introduction about "tar".
I will investigate whether it meets the requirements.
And also I'll search GPLv2 implementation if it meets the requirements.
If it's not decided yet about the CIP policy on accepting GPLv3, we cannot adopt GPLv3 packages.

Anyway, I agreed it is difficult to support python 2 for a super long term. And everyone agreed on this point.
So, we cannot support each libraries using python 2, at least.

Best regards, Kent

Best regards,
Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany


Re: Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

punit1.agrawal@...
 

Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> writes:

Hi!

The migration is complete.

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email
address and set a password.

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This
would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an
administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other
lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.
And we have first problem.

They seem to add this kind of trailer to the messages, breaking GPG
signatures :-(.

(I won't quote full trailer as it seems to contain some secrets?)
I wonder if it's possible to turn these off by the admin.

Also, another thing to test is the impact of the footer on applying
patches sent via email (git am / git apply).


Re: Migration complete - Re: Mailman2 to Groups.io reminder

Pavel Machek <pavel@...>
 

Hi!

The migration is complete.

You should receive an email shortly asking you to log in with your email
address and set a password.

One important note, please do NOT unsubscribe from the "main" list. This
would unsubscribe you from all of the CIP lists. "main" is an
administrative list used by Groups.io as a parent list to manage the other
lists. Please let me know if you have any questions or issues.
And we have first problem.

They seem to add this kind of trailer to the messages, breaking GPG
signatures :-(.

(I won't quote full trailer as it seems to contain some secrets?)

Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany


Re: Python 3.x vs 2.7

Pavel Machek <pavel@...>
 

On Mon 2020-04-06 12:15:16, Jan Kiszka wrote:
On 03.04.20 23:47, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!


FYI, unfortunately we couldn't find the alternative package for system backup. The duplicity is the best package for us from the license and num of dependencies point of view.
See the following.
<duplicity>
Encryption: Yes
Schedule backup: No
Incremental backup: Yes
License: GPL v2
Dependencies count (aprox): 80
Reference: http://duplicity.nongnu.org/features.ht
I'm not sure what your exact requirements are, but have you considered
"tar"? It should be possible to pipe its output to aespipe (and
possibly other tools) to get encryption, and it should be able to do
incremental backups...
I suppose there is that concern about GPLv3 again (as with broadly used
rsync) - which is generally overrated. There exists legal views that already
GPLv2 requires to keep such licensed components replaceable on the target.
What then effectively remains with v3 is its, well, wording complexity.
Does "tar" match the requirements?

And I agree that best option would be to accept GPLv3.

If that's out of question, I'm pretty sure we can get GPLv2 tar
implementation somewhere. busybox has implementation, and I'm pretty
sure there's GPLv2 fork of busybox. Old version of tar should be
GPLv2. Still better than porting duplicity to different python
version...

Best regards,
Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany

2501 - 2520 of 7074