Date

CIP talk at OS Leadership Summit

please find the slides and info about the talk provided by Nori and myself at OS Leadership Summit in our wiki:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipconferences

Thanks Nori for sharing the talk with me.

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

Re: CIP talk at OS Leadership Summit

Noriaki Fukuyasu <fukuyasu@...>

Thanks, Agustin!!

regards

Nori

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 7:47 AM, Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...> wrote:
Hi,

please find the slides and info about the talk provided by Nori and myself at OS Leadership Summit in our wiki:

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipconferences

Thanks Nori for sharing the talk with me.

agustin.benito@...

Noriaki Fukuyasu

The Linux Foundation
Tel: +81-80-4350-1133
Twitter: nori_fukuyasu
Facebook: linuxfoundationjp

Please visit our web sites:

CIP kernel maintenance policies

Hi Ben,

can you provide us a status of the CIP kernel maintenance policies. I see you have been working on them

Link: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance

The idea is present them during Yoshi talk on Wed Feb 22nd, right?

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

(Feb 21, 4pm) LTSI Workshop @ ELC Portland

Noriaki Fukuyasu <fukuyasu@...>

Hi

Please let me forward below.

Regards

Nori

Date: Feb 21st, 2017

Time: 4pm to 6pm

Venue: Director's Suite on the 3rd floor.

Agenda:

  • Brief Status Update & LTSI Development Schedule
  • Exchange thoughts “Upstream First” (*1). There will be 2-3 guest speakers to talk about their experiences and thoughts on "Upstream First" to kick the discussions.

NOTE (*1):  This year, LTSI would like to spend sometime on gathering the information of how companies are taking advantage of upstream development. Particularly, we are interested in the following questions:

  • What is the business value
  • What are the challenges
  • What makes it successful (from the real company experiences) etc

We are planning to write up a white paper on this subject later this year based on the information we gather from the workshop.

See you there!!

regards

Noriaki Fukuyasu

--
Noriaki Fukuyasu

The Linux Foundation
Tel: +81-80-4350-1133
Twitter: nori_fukuyasu
Facebook: linuxfoundationjp

Please visit our web sites:

--
Noriaki Fukuyasu

The Linux Foundation
Tel: +81-80-4350-1133
Twitter: nori_fukuyasu
Facebook: linuxfoundationjp

Please visit our web sites:

Re: (Feb 21, 4pm) LTSI Workshop @ ELC Portland

On 20/02/17 13:16, Noriaki Fukuyasu wrote:
Hi

Please let me forward below.
I will attend to the LTSI workshop.

Regards

Nori

Date: Feb 21st, 2017

Time: 4pm to 6pm

Mail: fukuyasu@linuxfoundation.org <mailto:fukuyasu@linuxfoundation.org>

http://www.linuxfoundation.jp
http://events.linuxfoundation.jp
http://jp.linux.com

--
Noriaki Fukuyasu

The Linux Foundation
Mail: fukuyasu@linuxfoundation.org <mailto:fukuyasu@linuxfoundation.org>
Tel: +81-80-4350-1133
Twitter: nori_fukuyasu
Facebook: linuxfoundationjp

Please visit our web sites:
http://www.linuxfoundation.jp
http://events.linuxfoundation.jp
http://jp.linux.com

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

Board at desk - Single dev. beta release: KernelCI + LAVAv2 on your machine to test kernels

Dear CIP friends,

The Civil Infrastructure Platform project[1], a Linux Foundation Initiative, is happy to announce the publication of a customised and easy to deploy instance of the KernelCI + LAVAv2 projects as a vagrant VM image/recipe, containing the tools and configurations used and developed by the kernelci project, the biggest collaborative testing effort.

This VM is configured so any developer can deploy it in her machine and test a specific kernel on a board physically connected to it.

Please visit the Download page[2] if you are interested in using kernelci on your own machine. To learn more about the current release please visit the feature page[3].

Goal of this effort

kernelci.org[4] is designed as a "open collaborative service", mostly used by the Linux Kernel community. At CIP, we believe this effort we now publish under beta state will help:

a.- To create a first step towards "trusted testing" within CIP for every member and the CIP kernel maintainer.

b.- To extend and simplify the current use case satisfied by kernelci.org, focusing on those embedded developers that have direct access to boards, by reducing the deployment, configuration and maintenance costs.

c.- To severely increase the number of developers and organizations willing to participate in kernelci.org by providing a simple mechanism to evaluate the technologies involved and to test Linux kernels.

The final release date will depend on the feedback received. Check the roadmap[5] for further details. CIP is a community project so we welcome contributions[6] to this effort.

Download kernelci Board @desk - Single dev[2]

[1] https://www.cip-project.org/
[2] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipdownload
[2] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/ciptestingboardatdesksingledevfeaturepage
[4] https://kernelci.org/
[5] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/ciptesting#testing-at-cipactions
[6] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/start#participate-in-cip

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

Rectification: Open Source Leadership Summit slides

during the CIP talk that Nori and I did at the Open Source Leadership Summit on week 07, I made the following mistake:

Daniel Sangorrin, from Toshiba, has been working the last few weeks on Fuego. I assigned to him the integration of LAVA and Fuego. The truth is that this particular feature has been developed by Jan-Simon Möller, from the Linux Foundation, within AGL.

I also stated that the effort is ongoing when, in fact, Jan-Simon already completed it.

This mistake is specially inexplicable given that I am part of the AGL CIAT group and I am closely following the progress of Fuego.

Apologies to both of you for my wrong attribution. I will change the slides accordingly.

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

CIP kernel in Gitlab.com

the past few weeks, maybe related with the problems gitlab.com has experienced, the automatic update of our kernel in gitlab.com has given us problems to the extend that we took two actions:
* Disable the automatic updates
* Use directly the kernel.org repo in Board at desk - single dev

Since the week before I was at ELC and last week on vacation, the CIP kernel is not up to date compared to the kernel.org one. I am currently updating it.

I am monitoring gitlab.com service. I hope I can restore the automatic updates soon. Meanwhile, I will update it manually at least on weekly basis.

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

Update 2017week10: kernel maintenance / kernel testing

Dear CIP friends,

as you know we released the beta version of Board at desk - Single dev on Feb 22nd a little before the CIP at ELC. It was announced through this mailing list.

That day we also communicated the first draft of the kernel maintenance policies Ben H. published on our wiki[1]. The policies are an extension from the current Linux kernel ones, having our use case in mind.

Check Yoshi's slides[2] from ELC

Christos Karamitsos has been of a great help in order to solve some technical issues during the past few weeks, working full time to help Don Brown to solve them. Thanks Christos. Robert Marshall is back in the team to focus the coming weeks in preparing the 1.0 release, substituting Christos. Welcome back again Robert.

Ben H. will be helping us in shaping the VM for his needs as kernel maintainer the coming days. He is coming to our HQ in Manchester, UK for this purpose.

Based on the feedback received after the beta release, we have added some features requests in our ticket system[3]. I will be processing them this week.

After FOSDEM, OS Leadership Summit and ELC, including the beta release, we will go back this Friday to our bi-weekly report about the technical activities related with kernel maintenance and testing.

[1] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance
[2] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipconferences
[3] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/testing/issues

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

Re: Rectification: Open Source Leadership Summit slides

On 24/02/17 23:38, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi,

during the CIP talk that Nori and I did at the Open Source Leadership
Summit on week 07, I made the following mistake:

Daniel Sangorrin, from Toshiba, has been working the last few weeks on
Fuego. I assigned to him the integration of LAVA and Fuego. The truth is
that this particular feature has been developed by Jan-Simon Möller,
from the Linux Foundation, within AGL.

I also stated that the effort is ongoing when, in fact, Jan-Simon
already completed it.

This mistake is specially inexplicable given that I am part of the AGL
CIAT group and I am closely following the progress of Fuego.

Apologies to both of you for my wrong attribution. I will change the
slides accordingly.
Slides changed.

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

Kernel feature support

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?

Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

Re: Kernel feature support

Angelo

Dear Ben Hutchings,

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
I would really like to have IIO drivers, they are generally easy to
backport and extremely useful in industrial contexts.

Sincerely, Angelo

Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

Profile: http://it.linkedin.com/in/compagnucciangelo

Blog post from Codethink about CIP

we published a blog post to promote CIP and also to explain why Codethink Ltd. is part of it.

link: https://www.codethink.co.uk/blog/articles/2017/why-codethink-founding-member-civil-infrastructure-platform/

Best regards
agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

Re: Kernel feature support

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 16:25 +0100, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
Dear Ben Hutchings,

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
I would really like to have IIO drivers, they are generally easy to
backport and extremely useful in industrial contexts.
But you don't use *all* the IIO drivers, do you?

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 18:55 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 16:25 +0100, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
Dear Ben Hutchings,

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
I would really like to have IIO drivers, they are generally easy to
backport and extremely useful in industrial contexts.
But you don't use *all* the IIO drivers, do you?
Also, I'm not talking about backports here - only about which of the
existing features in 4.4 will need SLTS.

Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

Update 2017wk10

Dear CIP friends,

here is the report of those tasks related with Testing and kernel maintenance that Don, Ben, Robert and myself has been working on the past two weeks:

CIP Testing

* Investigation is ongoing on issue #16
* Continued work on Issue #30 the ArduinoPDU to control the Soft Reset and the Power On/Off commands to the Beaglebone Black (BBB).
** We are able to command it using the low level relay-ctrl.py command, but the pduclient command is still not working. I've reached out for help on the linaro-lava IRC channel with no success.

* Investigated Issue #31 incorporating QEMU/KVM as a second hypervisor. I want to avoid having to support two versions, so it will be a side-by-side "option."

* Started Issue #22 adding the required build tools for different architectures: The goal is to include tools for: armel, armhf, arm64, and i386 & amd64 at some point.

* Investigated "weird mixture of Debian versions" Issue #33 and from this work, we will solidify the base from which future version will be created.

* Determined to distribute the CIP-Board-at-Desk VM to anyone who cannot build the VM from Vagrant due to software versioning issues in Issue #34 .

* Closed several issues as they were solved:
** #35 Consolidate all the instructions on the wiki
** #29 Beaglebone Black's Debian doesn't give standard Shutdown Message
** #32 Could not access KVM kernel module
** #21 qemu01 health check fails

* Space requested to deploy the VMs for the release.
** LF is working on it
** Size reduced from +4GB to aroind 2GB using different techniques.
** Still unknown how we will deploy it.

* Tested the health check on the beaglebone black

* Created a export of the virtual machine and am currently debugging issues around the re-import on other user machines

* Support Ben H. with several issue he has found with Board at desk - Single dev since he is trying to set it up in his machine to test the CIP 4.4 kernel.
** The current setup depends on the Vagrant version that each distro provides for certain configurations.
** Reported some issues with the build process.
** Identified and reported changes needed to allow running the box under older version of Vagrant for, in this case, Debian Stable.

* Created new milestones for the project.
** Link: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/testing/milestones
** Processed the requests we've got after the Beta release and moved them to the right milestone.

CIP kernel maintenance

* Going through several questions raised by Members after ELC
* Reviewed changes in Linux 4.4.49-4.4.52 stable releases
* Question to Members about 4.4 features to include in CIP in cip-dev ML. Please take it in consideration.

Remember you can:
* Download the beta version of Board at Desk - Single dev VM at the CIP testing Download page: https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipdownload
* All issues/tickets referred in this report can be found in our gitlab.com testing project: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/testing/boards

Codethink has published a blog post related with CIP: https://www.codethink.co.uk/blog/articles/2017/why-codethink-founding-member-civil-infrastructure-platform/

On 09/03/17 15:33, Ben Hutchings wrote:
We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
Answering this question is important to discard features in 4.4 that are not of CIP interest so we can severely reduce the amount of effort that we will need to do in terms of fixes analysis, security etc. in the future.

Please take some time to provide feedback.

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

u-boot policy for CIP

Chris Paterson

Hello all,

I’m bringing a discussion I’ve started in other places here as it will benefit from wider participation.

As you know the aim of CIP is to maintain not just the Kernel, but a number of other ‘core packages’. One of these is u-boot.

For the Kernel the project will provide super long term support for a chosen version. For u-boot this will be harder to achieve as

a)      there are no ‘LTS’ versions of u-boot to base our ‘SLTS’ version on;

b)      a lot of hardware providers tend to use forks for their platforms, rather than add full functionality upstream.

Ideally CIP should choose a version of u-boot and use it when testing/verifying the CIP Kernel on the reference hardware. How we actively maintain that version (bug fixes/security patches/features?) is another question. Given that most devices in the field won’t have a way to update u-boot in the field (security issues/practicalities), I think ‘SLTS’ support for u-boot may not be required. Perhaps we just tag a version of u-boot at the launch of a new CIP Kernel and stick with it?

How do we decide what u-boot version to support? Currently it looks like the BBB platform are shipped with 2014.04 and the Renesas platform is shipped with 2013.01. That said, it looks like there is upstream support for BBB [1], but how the feature set compares to the version shipped with the platform I don’t know. There is also support for some Renesas platforms [2], but not for the exact board CIP will be using.

Do we want to push Ti/Renesas to ensure there is full support for their boards upstream? When this is done do we pick the first version that includes this support to work with? Or do we just stick with the vendor provided forks?

Is there a particular feature set that CIP requires?

Forgive my random ramblings, I appreciate there are a lot of different questions here!

[1] https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/tree/master/board/ti/am335x

[2] https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/tree/master/board/renesas

Kind regards, Chris

Linux 4.4.55-cip3

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>

I've released Linux version 4.4.55-cip3. There are no new CIP-specific
changes; this just adds the fixes from stable versions 4.4.49-4.4.55
inclusive. I reviewed those fixes, but have only done very basic manual
testing of the result.

Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

Re: Kernel feature support

Chris Paterson

Hello Agustin, Ben,

Sorry for the slow response to your query.

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
From an SoC vendor point of view, ideally we'd like the interfaces provided by the reference platform to be included. As support for our CIP reference platform is not yet mainlined, I can't provide the exact .config yet. However it will likely be very similar to shmobile_defconfig [1].

Of course, narrowing down configurations supported by the CIP Kernel should probably be lead more by the end use-cases, but hopefully this is a start.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arm/configs/shmobile_defconfig

Kind regards, Chris

Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk