Date   

Re: Kernel for RZ/G1M Dev kit

Takehisa Katayama
 

Hi Daniel,

This is for another board, and the patch set for Renesas RZ/G1M board is maintained on our private git at this moment.

But we are preparing to create a private repository to publish it (maybe, disclose to member companies first).

So please wait for a week.

Thanks.

BR,
Takehisa Katayama.

On 2017/06/05 16:11, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
Katayama-san,
I managed to follow the quickstart guide for the Renesas RZ/G1M board
and also rebuild the kernel 3.10.
Now, I'm planning to use the CIP kernel. I have noticed there are quite a few
patches for linux-stable 4.4 which seem to be for the R-Car Generation 2 based board
but compatible with RZ/G1M
https://github.com/renesas-rz/meta-renesas/tree/yocto_2.0/meta-rzg1/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-renesas
Should I apply these patches?
Is there any git repository I should look at instead?
Thanks,
Daniel
.


Kernel for RZ/G1M Dev kit

Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@...>
 

Katayama-san,

I managed to follow the quickstart guide for the Renesas RZ/G1M board
and also rebuild the kernel 3.10.

Now, I'm planning to use the CIP kernel. I have noticed there are quite a few
patches for linux-stable 4.4 which seem to be for the R-Car Generation 2 based board
but compatible with RZ/G1M

https://github.com/renesas-rz/meta-renesas/tree/yocto_2.0/meta-rzg1/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-renesas

Should I apply these patches?
Is there any git repository I should look at instead?

Thanks,
Daniel


Re: Kernel feature support - filesystems and networking

Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@...>
 

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan Kiszka [mailto:jan.kiszka@...]
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2017 10:50 PM
To: Daniel Sangorrin; 'Ben Hutchings'; '小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO'
Cc: cip-dev@...
Subject: Re: [cip-dev] Kernel feature support - filesystems and networking

On 2017-06-01 15:30, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev-bounces@... [mailto:cip-dev-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Ben Hutchings
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:16 PM
To: 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO
Cc: cip-dev@...
Subject: Re: [cip-dev] Kernel feature support - filesystems and networking

On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 02:40 +0000, 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO wrote:
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your efforts.

- overlayfs (CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS)
OVERLAY_FS is one of the features Hitachi wants to use.
I hope you look into this further and I would like to know if other members also want it.
Yes, I thought this was popular. I think we will have to find some way
to support it.
During the CIP TSC meeting I proposed using Ubuntu kernel backports.
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-xenial.git/log/fs/overlayfs

What do you think?
Did overlayfs folks looked at/commented on this already? Ideally,
maintainers should have at least a rough look on our backports whenever
possible.
The Ubuntu LTS kernels contain patches back ported by them from upstream and
their own patches which are usually prefixed by UBUNTU. UBUNTU patches are often
based on BUG reports on launchpad.

As for overlayfs, it seems that UBUNTU has cherry-picked quite a few patches by
the main maintainer Miklos Szeredi. UBUNTU patches were mostly added by Seth Forshee
but I couldn't find any review online.

I think it would be nice to have a rough overlook by the maintainers. And we should also
test them ourselves thoroughly. For example, running LXC with overlayfs.

Thanks,
Daniel


Re: Kernel feature support - filesystems and networking

Jan Kiszka
 

On 2017-06-01 15:30, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev-bounces@... [mailto:cip-dev-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Ben Hutchings
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:16 PM
To: 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO
Cc: cip-dev@...
Subject: Re: [cip-dev] Kernel feature support - filesystems and networking

On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 02:40 +0000, 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO wrote:
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your efforts.

- overlayfs (CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS)
OVERLAY_FS is one of the features Hitachi wants to use.
I hope you look into this further and I would like to know if other members also want it.
Yes, I thought this was popular. I think we will have to find some way
to support it.
During the CIP TSC meeting I proposed using Ubuntu kernel backports.
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-xenial.git/log/fs/overlayfs

What do you think?
Did overlayfs folks looked at/commented on this already? Ideally,
maintainers should have at least a rough look on our backports whenever
possible.

Jan


Re: Kernel feature support - filesystems and networking

Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@...>
 

-----Original Message-----
From: cip-dev-bounces@... [mailto:cip-dev-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Ben Hutchings
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:16 PM
To: 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO
Cc: cip-dev@...
Subject: Re: [cip-dev] Kernel feature support - filesystems and networking

On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 02:40 +0000, 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO wrote:
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your efforts.

- overlayfs (CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS)
OVERLAY_FS is one of the features Hitachi wants to use.
I hope you look into this further and I would like to know if other members also want it.
Yes, I thought this was popular. I think we will have to find some way
to support it.
During the CIP TSC meeting I proposed using Ubuntu kernel backports.
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/ubuntu-xenial.git/log/fs/overlayfs

What do you think?

Thanks,
Daniel


Re: Kernel feature support - filesystems and networking

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>
 

On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 04:58 +0100, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi Ben,

On 29/05/17 03:40, 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO wrote:
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your efforts.

- overlayfs (CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS)
>> - I found many apparently important bug fixes in later kernel
versions that have not been backported

Is there a technical reason for these patches not being backported or is
it simply that never was requested/needed before?
I don't know yet. I will ask upstream.

OVERLAY_FS is one of the features Hitachi wants to use.
I hope you look into this further and I would like to know if other members also want it.
Based on this request, is it possible for you to estimate the effort to
do this?
Not yet, but I will try to get an idea of how large a change is needed.

Ben.

@Takuo is there a kernel developer from Hitachi that would be willing to
work under Ben's supervision/review in backporting these patches?
--
Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.


--
Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.


Re: Kernel feature support - filesystems and networking

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>
 

On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 02:40 +0000, 小口琢夫 / KOGUCHI,TAKUO wrote:
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your efforts.

- overlayfs (CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS)
OVERLAY_FS is one of the features Hitachi wants to use.
I hope you look into this further and I would like to know if other members also want it.
Yes, I thought this was popular. I think we will have to find some way
to support it.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.


Request to create two new repositories

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi,

in order to start working on CIP testing Action 2, we will need to create a new repository to host tests and another one for logs.

Best Regards
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...


Request of a new mailing list

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi,

in order for the CIP testing project to start working on milestone 2 we need to have a mailing list to provide test-results.

The proposed name for the list is:

cip-testing-results@...

Best Regards
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...


CIP in Twitter

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi,

we are on Twitter, and with some news: https://twitter.com/cip_project

Best Regards
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...


CIP Project releases a tool-box based on LAVA and KernelCI to test Linux kernels locally: Board At Desk v0.9.1

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Dear CIP friends,

The Civil Infrastructure Platform project[1], a Linux Foundation Initiative, is happy to announce the publication of Board At Desk - Single Dev. (B@D) v0.9.1, a customised and easy to deploy instance of KernelCI[2] and LAVA[3] projects that should allow developers to test Linux kernels on boards connected to their own development machines, using the tooling provided by one of the most successful Open Source and distributed testing projects, http://www.kernelci.org .

This instance is provided in this first release in two forms:
* As a vagrant VM image/recipe.
* As a VM image, widely called box.

Please visit the CIP Testing project Download page[4] to download the first release of Board At Desk - Single Dev. (B@D v0.9.1).

With this effort, the CIP project is trying to create a first step towards "shared and trusted testing" by every member and the CIP kernel maintainer. It also has as a goal to extend and simplify the current use case satisfied by kernelci.org, focusing on those embedded developers that have direct access to boards, by reducing the deployment, configuration and maintenance effort. Finally, CIP intends to increase the number of developers and organizations willing to participate in http://www.kernelci.org by providing a simple mechanism to evaluate the technologies involved in what CIP consider B@D's upstream projects (LAVA and KernelCI).

Some of the most important actions taken by the team behind B@D have been focused in two areas:

1. Merged the KernelCI and LAVAv2 Virtual Machines together into one.

KernelCI was based on Ubuntu v14.04, it used Nginx as the Web Server and SimpleHTTPServer for the Storage Server which is where the builds are stored. LAVA was based on Debian and used the Apache Web Server and the Django Content Management System for the Frontend Web Framework. Both web servers wanted to use port 80.

The current VM uses Debian Jessie only. It runs KernelCI on Nginx and LAVA on Apache on reassigned ports. The KernelCI Storage Server has been migrated over to use Nginx on a reassigned port.

2. Connection to the board.

The released VM assumes the usage of an FTDI USB-to-Serial cable to connect the host machine to the Beaglebone Black. It uses ser2net to route the /dev/ttyUSB0 serial port to a TCP port on the host machine which allows the user to use telnet to communicate to the Beaglebone Black console for remote login and boot messages. It also allows LAVA to use tftp to transfer the kernel directly over to the board eMMC without needing to burn an SD Card.

This B@D version supports Beaglebone Black. Renesas RZ/G1M support is in progress and the rest of the CIP reference boards will be supported in the near future.

Further information about what you will find in B@D v0.9.1 can be found in the B@D Feature Page[5].

If you are interested in testing kernels using this version of the tooling please meet the developers at the cip-dev mailing list[6]. If you find bugs in KernelCI or LAVAv2 themselves, please report them upstream. If you find them in the configuration or any of the previously described topics, please report them in the CIP-testing bug tracker[7]. More general information about the CIP testing project can be found in the CIP wiki[8].

You can also read this release announcement on the CIP project blog[9]

[1] https://www.cip-project.org/
[2] https://github.com/kernelci/
[3] https://validation.linaro.org/
[4] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipdownload
[5] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/ciptestingboardatdesksingledevfeaturepage
[6] https://lists.cip-project.org/mailman/listinfo/cip-dev
[7] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/testing/boards
[8] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/ciptesting
[9] http://bit.ly/2rhSILs
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...


License cleared. Release of B@D tomorrow at around 8 am Tokyo time

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi,

the license review process has finished. We will release B@D v0.9.1 tomorrow at 8 am Japan time (UTC+9)

SZ Lin has translated the social media messages to traditional Chinese so we can promote the release in that language.

The wiki support for the characters is not perfect so there is one of the messages that it does not show up and breaks the table. If you edit the page, you can copy-paste the affected message.

Feel free to pick up the messages or retweet them from the @cip_project account.

Best regards

--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...


picture of the first ever CIP open workshop

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi,

this is the picture taken with my mobile. I assume the one taken with the camera has a higher resolution.

Best regards
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.


Re: CIP testing: output of the workshop

Robert Marshall <robert.marshall@...>
 

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...> writes:

Hi,

as output of the workshop I have created two tickets:
* Add page numbers to examples output (.pdf docs):
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/testing/issues/97
* Have a single .pdf document per example:
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/testing/issues/98
These issues have now both been cleared

Thanks to the participants for raising them

Robert


CIP testing: output of the workshop

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi,

as output of the workshop I have created two tickets:
* Add page numbers to examples output (.pdf docs): https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/testing/issues/97
* Have a single .pdf document per example: https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/testing/issues/98

Thanks for participating.

Best Regards
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...


Re: Picture for the announcement and blog post

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi,

On 29/05/17 22:20, Robert Marshall wrote:
Ok I'll bring a 'proper' camera in tomorrow. You'd like pictures of both
lava and the kernel city interfaces?
kernelci interface is nice. The LAVA one is not so I guess kernelci only.


Robert

On 2017-05-29 10:22, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi Robert,

can you take a couple of pictures of your laptop connected to a screen
and the BBB where we can see something on the screen recognisable as
B@D?

I will use one for the release announcement and a second one for the
blog post I wrote, which mean the cannot be too heavy but good enough
for those which use high resolution screens.

Best Regards
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...


Re: Picture for the announcement and blog post

Robert Marshall <robert.marshall@...>
 

Ok I'll bring a 'proper' camera in tomorrow. You'd like pictures of both lava and the kernel city interfaces?

Robert

On 2017-05-29 10:22, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi Robert,
can you take a couple of pictures of your laptop connected to a screen
and the BBB where we can see something on the screen recognisable as
B@D?
I will use one for the release announcement and a second one for the
blog post I wrote, which mean the cannot be too heavy but good enough
for those which use high resolution screens.
Best Regards


Picture for the announcement and blog post

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi Robert,

can you take a couple of pictures of your laptop connected to a screen and the BBB where we can see something on the screen recognisable as B@D?

I will use one for the release announcement and a second one for the blog post I wrote, which mean the cannot be too heavy but good enough for those which use high resolution screens.

Best Regards

--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...


Please promote the workshop

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi,

if you have time, specially if you are in Japan this week, please promote our open workshop through twitter, which takes place tomorrow afternoon (Japan time).

Use the hashtag of the event #ossummmit and the user @cip_project so we can see it and re-tweet it.

Best Regards
--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...


Re: CIP open workshop at OSSJ: May 30th from 15:00 to 17:00 hours

Agustin Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>
 

Hi,

On 10/05/17 00:22, Annie Fisher wrote:
Greetings all,

The Room Location has been updated on the wiki.
I have re-arranged the topics for the workshop (proposal).

If RT requires more than 15 min, we will provide it the second slot and move down the testing topic. If there is more than one topic proposed in the last minute, I will merge the testing topic in one slot.

Do not hesitate to propose a topic for the open workshop. We have one remaining slot. Two if required.


Cheers,
Annie

Annie Fisher, MPA CSM
Program Manager, The Linux Foundation
Location & Time-zone: San Francisco, CA, PST
web: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/
email: afisher@... <mailto:afisher@...>


On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Agustin Benito Bethencourt
<agustin.benito@... <mailto:agustin.benito@...>>
wrote:

Hi,


On 03/05/17 11:16, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:

Dear CIP friends,

the day before the OSSJ starts, on May 30th, CIP will have a
full day of
meetings.

We are organising an open workshop to talk, present, demo and
work on
technical topics that might be of interest to this Initiative.

The workshop will take place from 15:00 hours to 17:00 hours on
May 30th
in a room (to be determined) at the OSSJ venue.

Please follow up the news about this activity in our wiki page[1]

++ Open workshop. Who can participate?

The workshop is open to all of you who are interested, no matter
if you
are CIP Members or not. For those of you who are not yet part of
CIP, it
will be a great opportunity to know a little more about who we
are and
what we do.

++ How can I register?

If you are attending, it is very important that you tell us in
advance
since we need to plan the room capacity accordingly. There are
two ways
in which you can confirm your participation:

1.- Through this mailing list, by providing the following
information:
* Name.
* Company.
* Position/role.
* Topics you are interested on.

2.- Directly adding your name to the participants table on the
wiki[1].

Please check the wiki page anyway for updates. Again, this is an
open
workshop. Feel free to join.

++ Can I propose topics?

Yes. Please send your suggestions to this cip-dev mailing list so we
create the agenda as soon as possible.

[1]
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipconferences#workshops-and-meetings
<https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipconferences#workshops-and-meetings>


[1]
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipconferences/cipwsossj2017
<https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipconferences/cipwsossj2017>

The content of the OSSJ workshop has been moved.




Best Regards


--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@... <mailto:agustin.benito@...>
_______________________________________________
cip-dev mailing list
cip-dev@... <mailto:cip-dev@...>
https://lists.cip-project.org/mailman/listinfo/cip-dev
<https://lists.cip-project.org/mailman/listinfo/cip-dev>

--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink
agustin.benito@...

8341 - 8360 of 8627