Date

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 4.4.15-cip15-rt10

Daniel Wagner <daniel.wagner@...>

Good morning everyone,

On 01/10/2018 06:32 PM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
On 2018-01-09 21:31:34 [+0000], Hindman, Gavin wrote:
Sorry for the top-post. Seems like maybe we are causing confusion by regularly announcing CIP releases on rt-users. Wouldn't anyone interested in CIP already be subscribed to that mailing list and getting announcements that way? Maybe it just needs a clearer header, if we think it should stay on rt-users?
I think the announcement was just fine. Now I do know what it does and
what will happen after Greg decides to put 4.4 EOL.

A pointer to [0] as part of the announcement might be help full. In the
end I think it should remain on rt-users since Steven won't continue
doing 4.4 stable. So Daniel's 4.4-RT on top of the CIP tree will be the
only source of a maintained 4.4-RT tree.

[0] wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance

Maybe a "related projects" section should be created at https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/preempt_rt_versions ?
So what do have in mind? Moving v4.4-RT over to the "No longer
maintained PREEMPT_RT versions" section and adding a new one with
"related projects" where we add the 4.4-cip-rt tree?
Steven is handing over the 4.4 to me (*). So I'll maintain the 4.4-rt
and 4.4-cip-rt. I'll expect that they wont differ too much. Famous last
words.

Daniel: you have the release currently in a git tree within his "user"
namespace and did not upload it to k.o. Do you plan upload it to the
stable-rt tree like Julia does and upload it to the "projects/rt/4.4"
folder on k.o.? If so we might just add a link to the cip wiki next to
4.4 and be done with it.
Steven will ask the k.o folks to give me permission to upload to
projects/rt/4.4. In short nothing should change for 4.4-rt support as
long Greg is releasing 4.4.

As for 4.4-cip(-rt), it might make sense to have a project/cip shared
folder with the 4.4-cip and 4.4-cip-rt tree.

Ben, what's your stand on this?

(*) I finally figured out the last pieces how to do a release and
upload to k.o.

Re: B@D: iwg20m support

Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@...>

Dear Trung san,

On 2018-01-09 21:31:34 [+0000], Hindman, Gavin wrote:
[...]

Other suggestions?

-gavin
Sebastian

Meltdown and Spectre in CIP

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>

I expect that everyone's heard about the above security issues and I
understand there have been questions about how and when these will be
addressed in CIP.

My thinking is that for these are *not* serious issues for embedded
systems, though they do weaken the "defence in depth" that is normally
provided by memory protection and user privilege separation.  We do
need to get fixes out, but not urgently.

(When we discussed kernel configurations and maintainability, there was
consensus that no-one using KVM was relying on it being secure against
malicious guests - the guests were trusted.)

This is the current status of mitigations for these issues, as I
understand it:

Meltdown:
- arm 32-bit: Not affected? (ARM reports that only the Cortex-A75 is
affected, but I haven't seen information from other architecture
licensees.)
- x86 32-bit: Not fixed, no plans to fix. There are two affected
configurations that I'm aware of: Siemens' i386-rt and iot2000.
I doubt that the Quark processor in iot2000 is affected.
- x86 64-bit: Fully mitigated in mainline and 4.4-stable.

Spectre: will be mitigated in mainline, but still under discussion.
Based on what I've seen, I expect that it will be possible to backport
most of these to 4.4.

Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 4.4.15-cip15-rt10

Daniel Wagner <daniel.wagner@...>

Hi Ben,

  https://ci-rt.linutronix.de/RT-Test/kbuild.jsp?id=112

Some of the builds are failing (allmodconfig), though it
doesn't look cip-rt specific, eg:

    kernel/utilities/compiletest-runner@2/build/../include/linux/compiler.h:484 call to ‘__compiletime_assert_150’ declared with attribute error: BUILD_BUG_ON failed: hw_flag_names[NUM_IEEE80211_HW_FLAGS] != (void *)0x1
Not sure how to handle those. IIRC, we don't support allmodconfig.
yes but adding
  68920c973254 ("net/mac80211/debugfs.c: prevent build failure with
  CONFIG_UBSAN=y")

could solve the issue.
Okay, I just don't know if Ben wants to add the patch to his tree though.
If the patch solves the issue then please forward the patch upstream.
The "normal" v4.4 stable tree is affected by this, too.
4.4-stable doesn't have UBSAN. Are some other configurations (or
compiler versions) where this code fails to build? (I'm a bit
surprised that it ever compiled!)
The problem was introduced by 30686bf7f5b3 ("mac80211: convert HW flags
to unsigned long bitmap"). The only LTS kernel which is missing the
68920c973254 ("net/mac80211/debugfs.c: prevent build failure with
CONFIG_UBSAN=y") fix is the 4.4. The other don't have 30686bf7f5b3, e.g.
4.1, or have 30686bf7f5b3 and 68920c973254, e.g. 4.9.

I've sent 68920c973254 to stable for inclusion into 4.4.

https://www.spinics.net/lists/stable/msg209228.html

Re: B@D: iwg20m support

Trung. Huynh <trung.huynh.uw@...>

Dear Daniel,

On 2018-01-08 11:13:12 [+0100], Daniel Wagner wrote:
Hi Sebastian,
Hi Daniel,

On 2018-01-02 12:56:11 [+0100], Daniel Wagner wrote:
The release is based on the Linux 4.4.75-rt88 version. That is I
applied the -rt88 patch on the 4.4.75-cip6 kernel and merged in
all CIP releases.
what is cip6?
CIP stands for Civil Infrastructure Platform [1]. Ben Hutchings
maintains the 4.4.x-cip kernel tree which is a super long stable tree [2].
So 4.4.x is maintained until Feb, 2022. I assumed that `cip' will take
over / help Greg with the v4.4 tree and won't include its "own" things.
The 4.4-cip branch is not a regular stable branch. It includes some backported
hardware enablement and other minor features that aren't suitable for
stable. I am helping with review for 4.4-stable and regularly merge it into 4.4-
cip, but it's *not* planned for CIP to take over maintenance of stable
branches. After EOL for 4.4-stable, 4.4-cip will get fixes for only the kernel
components that CIP members use.

Hi Sebastian,

On 2018-01-02 12:56:11 [+0100], Daniel Wagner wrote:
[...]

[PATCH] ARM: shmobile: r8a7743: Fix Watchdog timer clock

Chris Paterson

R8A7743_CLK_RWDT should be 2 as specified in the hardware manual.

Fixes: 9683f2eba952bc0d ("ARM: shmobile: r8a7743: Add clock index macros for DT sources")
Reported-by: Thong Ho <thong.ho.px@...>
Signed-off-by: Chris Paterson <chris.paterson2@...>
---
include/dt-bindings/clock/r8a7743-clock.h | 2 +-

diff --git a/include/dt-bindings/clock/r8a7743-clock.h b/include/dt-bindings/clock/r8a7743-clock.h
index a5c7e387e66dfd55..53f54dfce59245d8 100644
--- a/include/dt-bindings/clock/r8a7743-clock.h
+++ b/include/dt-bindings/clock/r8a7743-clock.h
@@ -71,7 +71,7 @@
#define R8A7743_CLK_USBDMAC1 31

/* MSTP4 */
-#define R8A7743_CLK_RWDT 4
+#define R8A7743_CLK_RWDT 2
#define R8A7743_CLK_USB_DDM 6
#define R8A7743_CLK_IRQC 7
#define R8A7743_CLK_INTC_SYS 8
--
1.9.1

Re: B@D: iwg20m support

Trung. Huynh <trung.huynh.uw@...>

Dear Daniel,

Yes, I tried it and working well, but I want to custom some devices under kernel layer to execute our test cases as well as packing some dependencies
To do that I must expand file system that why I got this issue.

Regards,
Trung

https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/blob/master/deby/poky/meta-cip-iwg20m/kas-iwg20m.yml

https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/blob/master/deby/poky/meta-cip-bbb/README.BBB.txt
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/blob/master/deby/poky/meta-cip-bbb/kas-bbb.yml

You can add the packages "openssh nfs-utils rt-tests strace procps", they are available in meta-debian.

Unfortunately, you cannot simply add "meta-qt5" because it may conflict with meta-debian. Instead you would need to use meta-
debian qt5 recipes (only if you really need qt5 for testing RT).

Thanks,
Daniel Sangorrin

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 4.4.15-cip15-rt10

Agustín Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>

Hi Sebastian,

Hi Sebastian,

Main CIP kernel policies can be found in the wiki: https://
[...]

Principal Consultant
Codethink Ltd

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux 4.4.15-cip15-rt10

Jan Kiszka

Hi Sebastian,

On 2018-01-02 12:56:11 [+0100], Daniel Wagner wrote:
The release is based on the Linux 4.4.75-rt88 version. That is I
applied the -rt88 patch on the 4.4.75-cip6 kernel and merged in all
CIP releases.
what is cip6?
CIP stands for Civil Infrastructure Platform [1]. Ben Hutchings maintains
the 4.4.x-cip kernel tree which is a super long stable tree [2].
So 4.4.x is maintained until Feb, 2022. I assumed that `cip' will take
over / help Greg with the v4.4 tree and won't include its "own" things.
CIP includes a number of additional mainline backports (mostly around
SoC/board support and security), so it already deviates from vanilla
LTS. It's also aiming at a stricter QA than LTS.

On 01/08/2018 11:56 AM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
kernel/utilities/compiletest-runner@2/build/../include/linux/compiler.h:484 call to ‘__compiletime_assert_150’ declared with attribute error: BUILD_BUG_ON failed: hw_flag_names[NUM_IEEE80211_HW_FLAGS] != (void *)0x1

Not sure how to handle those. IIRC, we don't support allmodconfig.
yes but adding
68920c973254 ("net/mac80211/debugfs.c: prevent build failure with
CONFIG_UBSAN=y")

could solve the issue.
Okay, I just don't know if Ben wants to add the patch to his tree though.
If the patch solves the issue then please forward the patch upstream.
The "normal" v4.4 stable tree is affected by this, too.
Ah, I misunderstood you first. I'll picked the patch and let it run
through the ci system now and forward it to Greg if it solved the issue.

Hi Sebastian,

On 2018-01-02 12:56:11 [+0100], Daniel Wagner wrote:
[...]

[1] https://www.cip-project.org/
[2] https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipkernelmaintenance

8841 - 8860 of 9641