Kernel feature support

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?

Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

Angelo

Dear Ben Hutchings,

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
I would really like to have IIO drivers, they are generally easy to
backport and extremely useful in industrial contexts.

Sincerely, Angelo

Profile: http://it.linkedin.com/in/compagnucciangelo

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 16:25 +0100, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
Dear Ben Hutchings,

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
I would really like to have IIO drivers, they are generally easy to
backport and extremely useful in industrial contexts.
But you don't use *all* the IIO drivers, do you?

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 18:55 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 16:25 +0100, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
Dear Ben Hutchings,

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
I would really like to have IIO drivers, they are generally easy to
backport and extremely useful in industrial contexts.
But you don't use *all* the IIO drivers, do you?
Also, I'm not talking about backports here - only about which of the
existing features in 4.4 will need SLTS.

On 09/03/17 15:33, Ben Hutchings wrote:
We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
Answering this question is important to discard features in 4.4 that are not of CIP interest so we can severely reduce the amount of effort that we will need to do in terms of fixes analysis, security etc. in the future.

Please take some time to provide feedback.

agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

Chris Paterson

Hello Agustin, Ben,

Sorry for the slow response to your query.

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
From an SoC vendor point of view, ideally we'd like the interfaces provided by the reference platform to be included. As support for our CIP reference platform is not yet mainlined, I can't provide the exact .config yet. However it will likely be very similar to shmobile_defconfig [1].

Of course, narrowing down configurations supported by the CIP Kernel should probably be lead more by the end use-cases, but hopefully this is a start.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arm/configs/shmobile_defconfig

Kind regards, Chris

Answering this question is important to discard features in 4.4 that are not of
CIP interest so we can severely reduce the amount of effort that we will
need to do in terms of fixes analysis, security etc. in the future.

Please take some time to provide feedback.

Principal Consultant - FOSS at Codethink agustin.benito@codethink.co.uk

Hidehiro Kawai

Hello Agustin and Ben,

From: cip-dev-bounces@lists.cip-project.org [mailto:cip-dev-bounces@lists.cip-project.org] On Behalf Of Agustin Benito
On 09/03/17 15:33, Ben Hutchings wrote:
We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
Answering this question is important to discard features in 4.4 that are
not of CIP interest so we can severely reduce the amount of effort that
we will need to do in terms of fixes analysis, security etc. in the future.

Please take some time to provide feedback.
I attached a defconfig for one of our products running on 4.4.12.
This config is based on omap2plus_defconfig, and a diff from
omap2plus_defconfig is also attached.

Currently, each config item has not been prioritized yet, and it
may contain non-important items. Please treat our defconfig
as a reference at this point.

Best regards,

Hidehiro Kawai
Hitachi, Ltd. Research & Development Group

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>

On Thu, 2017-03-23 at 16:32 +0000, Chris Paterson wrote:
[...]
From an SoC vendor point of view, ideally we'd like the interfaces
provided by the reference platform to be included. As support for our
CIP reference platform is not yet mainlined, I can't provide the
exact .config yet. However it will likely be very similar to
shmobile_defconfig [1].
[...]

Thanks, I'll look through this config.

Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings@...>

On Fri, 2017-03-24 at 03:39 +0000, 河合英宏 / KAWAI,HIDEHIRO wrote:
[...]
I attached a defconfig for one of our products running on 4.4.12.
This config is based on omap2plus_defconfig, and a diff from
omap2plus_defconfig is also attached.

Currently, each config item has not been prioritized yet, and it
may contain non-important items. Please treat our defconfig
as a reference at this point.
Thanks, this is useful.

Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

Gernot Hillier <gernot.hillier@...>

On 15.03.2017 17:18, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi,

On 09/03/17 15:33, Ben Hutchings wrote:
We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
Answering this question is important to discard features in 4.4 that are
not of CIP interest so we can severely reduce the amount of effort that
we will need to do in terms of fixes analysis, security etc. in the future.

Please take some time to provide feedback.
Sorry for the late reply!

Please find attached an x86 kernel configuration from early product
development using kernel 4.4.

This product uses nearly-COTS server hardware due to needed computation
power, but also comes with nice embedded requirements like longterm
maintenance - and as a special need, real-time support, so we use
Linux-Ipipe/Xenomai here.

This means two things:
* many included drivers (especially in net and storage) are only
activated "to be prepared" for future hw replacements
* Feel free to either include Xenomai on your list as a used "kernel
feature" or to ignore the related options.

So same as with the config from Hidehiro Kawai: please let me know if
you need prioritized list of drivers or other features!

--
Kind regards,
Gernot Hillier

Siemens AG, Corporate Competence Center Embedded Linux

Jan Kiszka

On 2017-03-27 12:31, Gernot Hillier wrote:
On 15.03.2017 17:18, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi,

On 09/03/17 15:33, Ben Hutchings wrote:
We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
Answering this question is important to discard features in 4.4 that are
not of CIP interest so we can severely reduce the amount of effort that
we will need to do in terms of fixes analysis, security etc. in the future.

Please take some time to provide feedback.
Sorry for the late reply!
Fell through my cracks as well, just sending out another internal call
for more product configs. One is attached already, derived from
github.com/siemens/meta-iot2000.

Please find attached an x86 kernel configuration from early product
development using kernel 4.4.

This product uses nearly-COTS server hardware due to needed computation
power, but also comes with nice embedded requirements like longterm
maintenance - and as a special need, real-time support, so we use
Linux-Ipipe/Xenomai here.

This means two things:
* many included drivers (especially in net and storage) are only
activated "to be prepared" for future hw replacements
* Feel free to either include Xenomai on your list as a used "kernel
feature" or to ignore the related options.
Xenomai is not in CIP scope right now (though Siemens would welcome
anyone interested in collaborating on it).

In general, anything in a config not part of upstream is filtered out
"automatically", I would say. There are switches for out-of-tree
features in the iot2000 config as well (we are still in the process of
upstreaming).

So same as with the config from Hidehiro Kawai: please let me know if
you need prioritized list of drivers or other features!

Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA ITP SES-DE

Hi Ben,

We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled?
Please find attached to this e-mail four kernel v4.4 configurations for different architectures and platforms. Some of these kernels contain vendor patches and the PREEMPT RT patch. Also, please note that they were created with 'make ARCH=xxx savedefconfig'.

Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
I prepared a list of kernel config options that I consider the most important among the configs we are using. You can find them in the file config-cip (included in the attached zip file) which is reproduced below:

General setup
CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE
CONFIG_HZ_PERIODIC
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS
CONFIG_IKCONFIG
CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC
CONFIG_CGROUPS
CONFIG_CPUSETS
CONFIG_NAMESPACES
CONFIG_SCHED_AUTOGROUP
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD
CONFIG_RD_GZIP
CONFIG_SHMEM
CONFIG_SYSCTL_SYSCALL
CONFIG_KPROBES

Processor type and features
CONFIG_SMP
CONFIG_EFI
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU
CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP

System type
CONFIG_ARCH_TEGRA
CONFIG_ARCH_ZYNQ

Filesystems
CONFIG_EXT4_FS
CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER
CONFIG_OVERLAY_FS
CONFIG_VFAT_FS
CONFIG_PROC_FS
CONFIG_SYSFS
CONFIG_TMPFS
CONFIG_SQUASHFS
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS

Networking support
CONFIG_INET
CONFIG_VLAN_8021Q
CONFIG_IPV6

Device drivers
CONFIG_UIO
CONFIG_UIO_PDRV_GENIRQ
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE
CONFIG_USB_HID
CONFIG_USB_NET_DRIVERS
CONFIG_FB
CONFIG_TUN
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT
CONFIG_GPIOLIB
CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS
CONFIG_GPIOLIB_IRQCHIP
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM
CONFIG_MTD
CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK
CONFIG_MTD_NAND
CONFIG_I2C
CONFIG_SPI
CONFIG_MMC
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV
CONFIG_PPS
CONFIG_E1000E
CONFIG_I40E
CONFIG_IGB

Kernel hacking
CONFIG_FTRACE
CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER
CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME
CONFIG_PANIC_ON_OOPS

Some of these kernel config options may be out of scope or too broad. I just provide them for reference.
We may send you more information in the future.

IoT Technology center
Toshiba Corp. Industrial ICT solutions,
Daniel SANGORRIN

Jan Kiszka

On 2017-03-09 15:33, Ben Hutchings wrote:
We've previously agreed that not all kernel features (drivers,
filesystems, network protocols, etc.) can be supported in an SLTS
branch. I'd like to start working out what the supported features
should be for the 4.4 branch.

Are members able to share their kernel .config files, showing which
features are enabled? Or would you prefer to specify your needs at a
slightly higher level?
Some more configs from our side. Some are just stripped-down defconfigs,
some are 4.1-based (to become 4.4 eventually), but I hope they are
useful. Any out-of-tree switch is to be ignored, of course.

I hope there will be more configs in the future. E.g., some projects on
4.4 are still running an expanded development feature set.

Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA ITP SES-DE

minmin@plathome.co.jp

Dear Ben;

I apologize for the very late submission. Here is the config of our product.

Thanks in advance.

--
Masato Minda <minmin@...>
Plat'Home Co., Ltd.