List of patches that failed to apply to 4.4-stable

Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@...>

To: CIP Kernel team

I have prepared a list of patches that failed to apply to 4.4-stable in the past. The list is based on the corresponding e-mails sent to the stable mailing list (since I subscribed, there may be more failed patches before my subscription). We can discuss today at the TSC meeting, and on Thursday during the IRC meeting whether we want to backport any of them or not.
[Note] I still have to check if some of them were applied by any other means.

SZ Lin (林上智) <sz.lin@...>

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@...> 於 2018年11月12日 週一 下午5:15寫道:

To: CIP Kernel team

I have prepared a list of patches that failed to apply to 4.4-stable in the past. The list is based on the corresponding e-mails sent to the stable mailing list (since I subscribed, there may be more failed patches before my subscription). We can discuss today at the TSC meeting, and on Thursday during the IRC meeting whether we want to backport any of them or not.
I've created a draft wiki page for it, feel free to modify the format.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/linux-4.4-failed-patches

SZ

[Note] I still have to check if some of them were applied by any other means.

To kernel team,

@SZLin: thanks for creating a page on the wiki just for that.

Yesterday, I checked the patches in my "failed to apply to 4.4-stable" list against the actual git repository using a short python script.
It turns out that some of the patches in the "to apply" list were already there applied.

I have updated our wiki page accordingly
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/linux-4.4-failed-patches

For the curious minds, you can find my (dirty) script attached to this e-mail.

I have prepared a list of patches that failed to apply to 4.4-stable in the past. The
list is based on the corresponding e-mails sent to the stable mailing list (since I
subscribed, there may be more failed patches before my subscription). We can
discuss today at the TSC meeting, and on Thursday during the IRC meeting whether
we want to backport any of them or not.

I've created a draft wiki page for it, feel free to modify the format.

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/linux-4.4-failed-patche

SZ

[Note] I still have to check if some of them were applied by any other means.

Agustín Benito Bethencourt <agustin.benito@...>

Hi,

On Friday, 16 November 2018 06:16:31 WET Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
To kernel team,

@SZLin: thanks for creating a page on the wiki just for that.

Yesterday, I checked the patches in my "failed to apply to 4.4-stable" list against the actual git repository using a short python script.
It turns out that some of the patches in the "to apply" list were already there applied.

I have updated our wiki page accordingly
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/linux-4.4-failed-patches

For the curious minds, you can find my (dirty) script attached to this e-mail.
If you can put the patches list as a repo on gitlab, and since the target repo is already being mirrored, I wonder if we can create a job that executes the script when the origin list gets updated. We can create a notification with the outcome to our testing mailing list. This way we just need to focus on having the origin in shape. If we add to this a way to parser the outcome in .md format and published as result in gitlab when the job "succeeds", we significantly reduce the effort associated to the wiki page.

@Daniel W. is the above possible, based on your experience with Gitlab?

Agustín Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant
Codethink Ltd
We respect your privacy. See https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html

Daniel Wagner <daniel.wagner@...>

[...]

I don't think you can update a .md file via gitlab-ci. Though there is
GitLab pages which seems to be the thing for creating documentation via
a CI/CD job:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/pages/

On Monday, 19 November 2018 16:53:05 WET Daniel Wagner wrote:
[...]

There are SSGs that digest .md

https://about.gitlab.com/2016/06/10/ssg-overview-gitlab-pages-part-2/

this way the report can also be visualized not just as a static page but also as a repo file, like a normal wiki page. In any case, the format of the report is not a key point. HTML alone would work fine too, I guess.

I assume you agree with the approach in general. Thanks for the response.