Coordinating stable reviews

From: cip-dev@... [mailto:cip-dev@...] On Behalf Of Pavel Machek
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 7:10 PM
To: uli@...; cip-dev@...
Subject: [cip-dev] Coordinating stable reviews

Hi!

It is good to review "stable" patches soon, because such reviews are
more useful for the stable community, and because when bug is spotted,
it is easier to get patch dropped in the 5.10.X-rc phase than waiting
for 5.10.X release and then having patch reverted in 5.10.X+1.

Unfortunately, we don't have good system for coordinating reviews in
-rc phase.
It's different from the current system, but how about using patchwork?
Somehow forward the patch posted to stable@... as -rc to
cip-dev and review it at patchwork.kernel.org. It doesn't meet all
requests because it can't be operated from the command line.

Also, as Ulrich wrote, I think it's a good idea to use gitlab.
I suggest a way to comment on the commit instead of using the gitlab wiki.
for example, we can comment on the following URL (commit). We need to investigate,
but I think it can be manipulated from the command line using Gitlab's
API or libraries.

https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/linux-cip/-/commit/d25b48d4d3ef1ce75ce5628a8a3ba60a2427090f

There's a script (commit.py) that produces one-line-per-patch output
suitable for review. One possibility would be to have shared place
somewhere reviewers could tag "I'm working on these patches".

I don't believe lts-commit-list.git repository is suitable for that;
format suitable for review is different from what we have in
lts-commit-list, and there is going to be multiple updates per day in
busy periods.

We don't really need commit messages for this. Actually, we don't
really need to keep history, either. It would be good if system could
be controlled from command line for easy scripting.

Any ideas what kind of service could be used for this?

Ulrich Hecht

On 09/27/2021 12:09 PM Pavel Machek <pavel@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, we don't have good system for coordinating reviews in
-rc phase.

There's a script (commit.py) that produces one-line-per-patch output
suitable for review. One possibility would be to have shared place
somewhere reviewers could tag "I'm working on these patches".

I don't believe lts-commit-list.git repository is suitable for that;
format suitable for review is different from what we have in
lts-commit-list, and there is going to be multiple updates per day in
busy periods.

We don't really need commit messages for this. Actually, we don't
really need to keep history, either. It would be good if system could
be controlled from command line for easy scripting.

Any ideas what kind of service could be used for this?
gitlab comes to mind. IIUC, wiki pages are part of the project, but
contained in a separate git repository.

The output of commit.py is practically markdown already; just add a
table header and some extra "|"'s, and you're good.

There will be a history, but I think that can be safely ignored.

CU
Uli

Pavel Machek

Hi!

We don't really need commit messages for this. Actually, we don't
really need to keep history, either. It would be good if system could
be controlled from command line for easy scripting.

Any ideas what kind of service could be used for this?
I guess I should mention alternate possibilities. We could try to
somehow "hash" the commits... Perhaps I'd review all the patches where
upstream sha begins with 0-6. But patches in -stable often come in
series that depend on each other, and it would be good if single
person reviewed them.

We could also split based on first character of subject, or on
subsystem patch touches. I guess that would have other disadvantages
like uneven distribution of work when big ammount of btrfs fixes hits
the -stable.

Best regards,
Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk