Deby project status?

Sergey Nazaryev

Hi all,

Recently I've found the Deby project and I consider it as a candidate
for using on our new device.

However, as I can see, there is no activity in this project:

- last commit in cip-core/deby was in April
- it builds with errors
- there are no updates in Deby section of CIP core meetings reports
- all issues related to Deby (e.g. swupdate support) weren't updated
since last year

It seems like a bad sign. Are all efforts aimed to isar-cip-core?

Anyway, is there any plans to develop Deby (or any other distro under
the aegis of CIP project for devices with storage restrictions) in
future?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Sergey Nazaryev

Kazuhiro Hayashi

Hello Sergey,

Thank you for your questions.

- last commit in cip-core/deby was in April
- it builds with errors
Sorry for these bad states.
As the upstream project [0] that deby is based on has been updated already,
so it should be updated immediately.

It seems like a bad sign. Are all efforts aimed to isar-cip-core?
Not all, but many efforts are recently prioritized to isar-cip-core actually.
The basic plan is to implement features in isar-cip-core first where
various packages and features from Debian are available already,
then port them to deby in which partial features are implemented.

Anyway, is there any plans to develop Deby (or any other distro under
the aegis of CIP project for devices with storage restrictions) in
future?
deby is now supporting Debian 8 jessie and 10 buster source packages
in each branch and both versions will be maintained at least 10 years
following the lifecycle information of CIP [1].
On the other hand, there is no plan to develop new deby metadata
for newer Debian source packages (e.g. 11 bullseye) at the moment.

The demand and way of images for devices with storage restrictions
is under consideration. There are several ideas that directly use
binary packages of Debian to create small images
(e.g. Debian initramfs based custom image, etc. ), but
more time for discussions would be required to implement a related
repository or recipes in cip-core.

[0] https://github.com/meta-debian/meta-debian
[1] https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-lifecycle/-/tree/master/data

Best regards,