Project-X (minimal root filesystem) for renesas board

Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@...>

Hi Koguchi-san,
Cc: Chris, cip-dev

I'm going to add support to project-X for the Renesas iwg20m board which is equipped with an armv7 chip.
I have noticed that you added support for beaglebone and cyclone on the deby-armv7 folder [1].

I have a few questions:
- Why do you have two directories "linux-cip" and "linux-cip2" that are almost identical?
- I can see some xserver-related definitions on the board's configuration file. Are those necessary?

[1] https://gitlab.com/cip-playground/project-x/tree/master/deby-armv7

Takuo Koguchi

Hi Daniel-san,

I have a few questions:
- Why do you have two directories "linux-cip" and "linux-cip2" that are almost identical?
linux-cip directory is for linux-4.4.55-cip3.
linux-cip2 is for the previous release and it is not necessary if you update linux-cip.

- I can see some xserver-related definitions on the board's configuration file. Are those
necessary?
beaglebone.conf is based on poky/meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine. xserver-related definition was inculude in the original. I am not sure if it is necessary.

Takuo Koguchi

- Why do you have two directories "linux-cip" and "linux-cip2" that are almost identical?
linux-cip directory is for linux-4.4.55-cip3.
linux-cip2 is for the previous release and it is not necessary if you update linux-cip.
I think this is not a good approach. We would need to have a new linux-cip folder for each
release.

Patches for the cyclone board should be on its own CIP kernel repository (where you
can merge cip releases and add tags). Then, we can choose which version we want
by specifying the repository and tag/commit_id.

- I can see some xserver-related definitions on the board's configuration file. Are those
necessary?
beaglebone.conf is based on poky/meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine. xserver-related definition was inculude in the original. I am not
sure if it is necessary.
I don't think it is necessary since the CIP root filesystem only supports a few packages. Do you mind if I rewrite this and other
unnecessary definitions?

Takuo Koguchi

I'm going to add support to project-X for the Renesas iwg20m board which is equipped
with an armv7 chip.
I have noticed that you added support for beaglebone and cyclone on the deby-armv7
folder [1].

I have a few questions:
- Why do you have two directories "linux-cip" and "linux-cip2" that are almost identical?
- I can see some xserver-related definitions on the board's configuration file. Are those
necessary?

[1] https://gitlab.com/cip-playground/project-x/tree/master/deby-armv7

Takuo Koguchi

Daniel-san,

I think this is not a good approach. We would need to have a new linux-cip folder for each
release.
Let make it clear. Will you please describe your recommendation?

Patches for the cyclone board should be on its own CIP kernel repository (where you can
merge cip releases and add tags). Then, we can choose which version we want by
specifying the repository and tag/commit_id.
Good point. But CIP kernel repository is curerntly used for release assuming it is tested. And CycloneV is not supported by CIP at this moment. So I put the patches in the yocto project way.

I don't think it is necessary since the CIP root filesystem only supports a few packages.
Do you mind if I rewrite this and other unnecessary definitions?
I am happy if you go ahead and fix it!

Best regards,
Takuo Koguchi

I think this is not a good approach. We would need to have a new linux-cip folder for each
release.
Let make it clear. Will you please describe your recommendation?
Yes, please see below.

Patches for the cyclone board should be on its own CIP kernel repository (where you can
merge cip releases and add tags). Then, we can choose which version we want by
specifying the repository and tag/commit_id.
Good point. But CIP kernel repository is curerntly used for release assuming it is tested. And CycloneV is not supported by CIP at this
moment. So I put the patches in the yocto project way.
I didn't mean to put it on Ben's CIP repository rather on github. This way you can better maintain your "out-of-tree" cyclone V patches
and merge (do not rebase please) changes from Ben's CIP kernel regularly. In other words, do the same as Renesas is doing at [1].

[1] https://github.com/renesas-rz/renesas-cip

I don't think it is necessary since the CIP root filesystem only supports a few packages.
Do you mind if I rewrite this and other unnecessary definitions?
I am happy if you go ahead and fix it!
OK, thanks. I will also separate Beaglebone from Cyclone V.

Takuo Koguchi

[...]

In order to have all the cip related code in one place, it would be good, if anybody is using github, that at least there is a mirror of that repo in gitlab. When we start automating builds/test, that would be helpful.

I don't think it is necessary since the CIP root filesystem only supports a few packages.
Do you mind if I rewrite this and other unnecessary definitions?
I am happy if you go ahead and fix it!
OK, thanks. I will also separate Beaglebone from Cyclone V.

Takuo Koguchi

I'm going to add support to project-X for the Renesas iwg20m board
which is equipped with an armv7 chip.
I have noticed that you added support for beaglebone and cyclone on
the deby-armv7 folder [1].

I have a few questions:
- Why do you have two directories "linux-cip" and "linux-cip2" that are almost
identical?
- I can see some xserver-related definitions on the board's
configuration file. Are those necessary?

[1]
https://gitlab.com/cip-playground/project-x/tree/master/deby-armv7

agustin.benito@...

Daniel Sangorrin <daniel.sangorrin@...>

Hi Agustin, Chris

[...]

Agustin: I don't mind, but is this necessary?.
Chris: Will you create another repository for u-boot?

[...]

Necessary? not in my opinion. I think that development should take place whenever is best for the developers.

Two considerations:

TSC agreed to use Gitlab for mainly one reason: services built with gitlab can be replicated by Members in-house. That is not the case for GitHub.

Once the code is developed and the developer want to distribute it in the context of the CIP, CIP needs to host the source code and the binaries for compliance reasons. In that case having a mirror in GitLab would be a requirement.

[...]

Yoshitake Kobayashi

On 2017/07/07 17:54, Agustin Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi,

[...]

I agree with you. But I have a consideration for current status for renesas-cip repository.
I think the current repository is under development. It looks Renesas's upstreaming effort for CIP. We can refer the repository to test the CIP kernel with Renesas backported patches on Renesas RZ/G as one of CIP reference board.
In this case, the repository can be mirroed Renesas's account or cip-playground on GitLab. But I also think GitHub (or any other place) is still an option for them, if it is under development.
Once the backported patches succesfully merged with linux-cip, we can use linux-cip on GitLab to test the Renesas RZ/G.

Best regards,
Yoshi

Chris: Will you create another repository for u-boot?

I don't think it is necessary since the CIP root filesystem only supports a few packages.
Do you mind if I rewrite this and other unnecessary definitions?
I am happy if you go ahead and fix it!
OK, thanks. I will also separate Beaglebone from Cyclone V.

Takuo Koguchi

project.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Sangorrin
Sent: 07 July 2017 03:41

Hi Agustin, Chris

[...]

Sorry for the delay.

u-boot source for the RZ/G1-M iWave platform is now available [1].

We've tested this using the gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3 [2] compiler:

export PATH=/opt/gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3/bin:$PATH
export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-eabi-
export ARCH=arm
make iwg20m_q7_config
make

The u-boot binary can be loaded onto the platform using JTAG or by writing it to the eMMC (be very careful though as this overwrites the current u-boot, so if it goes wrong you'll need JTAG to un-brick the board). Instructions can be found in the Software User Guide included on the CD which comes with the platform.

[1] https://github.com/renesas-rz/renesas-u-boot-cip/tree/2013.01.01/rzg1-iwave
[2] https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads

I don't think it is necessary since the CIP root filesystem only supports a
few packages.
Do you mind if I rewrite this and other unnecessary definitions?
I am happy if you go ahead and fix it!
OK, thanks. I will also separate Beaglebone from Cyclone V.

Takuo Koguchi

project.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Sangorrin
Sent: 07 July 2017 03:41

Hi Agustin, Chris

[...]

Kind regards, Chris
Thank you!

I have updated the project-x with the u-boot definitions.
I'm a bit scared of bricking the board and not being able to recover because
I probably don't have an appropriate JTAG ICE/cable. For that reason, I will
leave the flashing part for the future.