Root filesystem for risc-v board

Pavel Machek

Hi!

So... how do you get root filesystem for RISC-V board? Ideally I'd
like to get something Debian based.

Best I could try is debootstrap for Debian testing:

sudo debootstrap --no-check-gpg --foreign --arch=riscv64 --keyring
/usr/share/keyrings/debian-ports-archive-keyring.gpg
--include=debian-ports-archive-keyring unstable /some/suitable/dir
http://deb.debian.org/debian-ports

Unfortunately, I can't get debootstrap --second-stage to work (I get
sigsegv in ldconfig, I guess testing may be too experimental?). Is it
possible to debootstrap stable or testing distributions?

I don't think CIP project provides binary images somewhere. What is
recommended way to get a root filesystem? Is there suitable
documentation I should follow?

Thanks and best regards,
Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk

Kazuhiro Hayashi

Hello Pavel,

We have a development branch in isar-cip-core, by which
we can generate a rootfs for QEMU riscv64.

https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/isar-cip-core/-/tree/thond/riscv-dev

Please note that this is not an official recipes of isar-cip-core and
there is no plan to be merged into master because it uses sid-ports repository.

Step to build rootfs (tarball):

$ git clone -b thond/riscv-dev https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/isar-cip-core
$ cd isar-cip-core
$ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/siemens/kas/3.0.2/kas-container
$ chmod a+x kas-container
$ ./kas-container build kas-cip.yml:kas/board/qemu-riscv64.yml:kas/opt/sid-ports.yml:kas/opt/debian-kernel.yml

then you can see the rootfs tarball at:
build/tmp/deploy/images/qemu-riscv64/cip-core-image-cip-core-sid-ports-qemu-riscv64.tar.gz

By the latest CI, the rootfs image (tarball) was uploaded to S3:
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-core/isar-cip-core/-/jobs/2702654409#L1586

Kazu

[...]

Sorry, it seems the image is generated as .ext4 by default:
build/tmp/deploy/images/qemu-riscv64/cip-core-image-cip-core-sid-ports-qemu-riscv64.ext4

Unfortunately, I can't get debootstrap --second-stage to work (I get
sigsegv in ldconfig, I guess testing may be too experimental?). Is it
possible to debootstrap stable or testing distributions?
My understanding is debian ports only provides packages for sid/experimental suites
so there is no package provided as stable/testing.
http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/dists/

Best regards,
Kazu

[...]

As another suggestion, I've put the riscv64 debian rootfs image below.
https://people.debian.org/~iwamatsu/riscv64-unstable-base.tar.gz

Please feel free to use.

2022年8月18日(木) 14:04 Kazuhiro Hayashi <kazuhiro3.hayashi@...>:

Hello Pavel,

[...]

iwamatsu at {nigauri.org / debian.org}
GPG ID: 40AD1FA6

Chris Paterson

Hello Pavel,

Apologies for the slow reply, I've been away.

So... how do you get root filesystem for RISC-V board? Ideally I'd
like to get something Debian based.
Renesas' official BSP (v1.0) is Yocto/Poky based and is available on their website:
https://www.renesas.com/us/en/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/rz-mpus/rzfive-risc-v-general-purpose-microprocessors-risc-v-cpu-core-andes-ax45mp-single-10-ghz-2ch-gigabit-ethernet

But it's in source code form, so it would need building as per the included documentation.

Best I could try is debootstrap for Debian testing:

sudo debootstrap --no-check-gpg --foreign --arch=riscv64 --keyring
/usr/share/keyrings/debian-ports-archive-keyring.gpg
--include=debian-ports-archive-keyring unstable /some/suitable/dir
http://deb.debian.org/debian-ports

Unfortunately, I can't get debootstrap --second-stage to work (I get
sigsegv in ldconfig, I guess testing may be too experimental?). Is it
possible to debootstrap stable or testing distributions?

I don't think CIP project provides binary images somewhere. What is
recommended way to get a root filesystem? Is there suitable
documentation I should follow?
This document describes the build process for the Yocto BSP:
https://www.renesas.com/us/en/document/mas/release-note-rzfive-board-support-package-v10

We'll have to work out with CIP how we want to support CIP-Core on the RZ/Five, given the current lack of official risc-v support in Debian.
Something we can discuss in next week's extended TSC.

Kind regards, Chris

Thanks and best regards,
Pavel
--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk